Scarred eggs

Weetamoo93

Songster
May 11, 2020
South Mississippi
I've collected about 5 of these "scarred" eggs over the past month or so. It looks like a crack that happened in formation and was healed during the remainder of the process. Most my hens are going on 3, so past their prime. I'm thinking it's from one hen considering the frequency?

Not certain if it's anything I should be concerned about.

They get both free choice oyster shell and egg shells in the compost pickings so they have plenty of calcium.

Attachments

• 20230409_203619.jpg
    20230409_203619.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 11
I would say it's from one hen if you are finding it fairly consistently.
Have you made any changes to the flock, added new birds, any old one died or rehomed, a rooster gone - any changes in environment that would cause stress?

If you figure out which hen, give her a going over for lice/mites, observe to see if she's getting picked on or is stressed, being disturbed during the laying process, etc.

As hens get older, sometimes glitches start to occur only for things to go back to normal or possibly they could progress. I agree, it looks like it's occurring in the shell gland, but honestly I have no clue if this could be corrected at all.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/03/01/weird-eggs-101/

I would say it's from one hen if you are finding it fairly consistently.
Have you made any changes to the flock, added new birds, any old one died or rehomed, a rooster gone - any changes in environment that would cause stress?

If you figure out which hen, give her a going over for lice/mites, observe to see if she's getting picked on or is stressed, being disturbed during the laying process, etc.

As hens get older, sometimes glitches start to occur only for things to go back to normal or possibly they could progress. I agree, it looks like it's occurring in the shell gland, but honestly I have no clue if this could be corrected at all.
We moved last fall about 40 minutes from our previous home. I'd say the scarred eggs started about February or so (wish I'd started documenting it earlier).

I've removed two roosters since moving (harvest), but that's not new to them. I removed two last year including the head cock since he was human aggressive. I had my newer head cock die suddenly two weeks ago, but the scarred eggs started before that and well after the move.

Aside from those, I can't say too much has changed. Minor changes in supplemental feeding (compost, etc), but their main diet is the same.

I noticed in the article a similar egg where the chicken had an infection. None of my birds *appear* ill, but I know they're notorious for hiding illness until they are near death.

I've since collected two more eggs. The consistency of the "scar" is really interesting.
20230415_154634.jpg

That pattern is so consistent!
And to me it doesn't look like shells that you would see if the cause was disease like Infectious Bronchitis.

I'm assuming that the pattern is coming from the shell gland, but I have no idea why the pattern is like that.
It's interesting.
To me, if she's doing o.k., not showing any signs of illness, lethargy and is eating/drinking/active, then I'd just keep watch on her. Enjoy her and see how it goes.

@aart have you seen this before?

Back
Top Bottom