Scary looking bulge!

Chicken aunty

Hatching
Jul 9, 2020
20200709_144614.jpg

My sister has had hens for about 7 years, and a raccoon recently killed them all but one, since poor Izzy was lonely she put out some feelers to purchase some older companions for her ... someone dropped off two hens today and this one does not look right! Her behind is slightly bulged and was caked with poop and dirt, so we bathed her, while we were doing that we noticed this bulge around the base of her neck/wing area. We can deal with the bum issues I think, but this wierd bulge is rather alarming. It is very soft and squishy, almost see through like it is just a thin layer of skin, you can clearly see that there is air in it, but also some liquid, I am a nurse and my first instinct was to pop it! (I did not!!lol) there is no clear edge to the bulge though, which makes me think it is not a cyst ... I'm mostly just hoping someone here might have seen something like this before and have some insight for me?
Thx!
From one worried aunty!

That is pretty strange. It might be a leaking air sac or a fluid-filled cyst, but I haven’t seen that on any chicken before. Her bottom might be enlarged from ascites or internally laying, or even a hernia. It is soft or firm, or tight?

That is pretty strange. It might be a leaking air sac or a fluid-filled cyst, but I haven’t seen that on any chicken before. Her bottom might be enlarged from ascites or internally laying, or even a hernia. It is soft or firm, or tight?
Soft, when we cleaned her it was red and raw looking, grabbing some colloidal silver in the morning!

With a leaking or ruptured air sac, air can be withdrawn with a needle and syringe, or a needle and the air pressed out. It can come back and may have to be done more than once. If you do this and get fluid, not air, then it would be a cyst. If it is thick, then that could be infection. If there is no respiratory distress, it could be left for the body to reabsorb the air. Here is a video on removing air from subcutaneous emphysema (leaking air sac) :

Back
Top Bottom