Schlect hatchery rocks!

chicks4kids

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern Indiana
This is the 2nd year that I've ordered from them. The first year, I ordered 50 meaties. They sent 51 in a 2 sided box and I had 1 fatality. They grew out really well, and I didn't have any problems with their legs giving out so this year I ordered 50 again. When I received them this morning I immediately scanned the new 4 compartment box for any trampled or weak babies. Not a single one!!
celebrate.gif
That new box really keeps 'em close and safe-12 to 14 chicks in a section. So I began counting...two, four, six--54 total!! So excited that even my Xtras made it!!

I just had to brag alittle bit
big_smile.png
I'm so excited about no dead babies!! I gave the 4 extras to a cochin that's been brooding on an empty nest for almost a month now. So now we're both happy
ya.gif

Quote:
I just feed the 24% starter. Then after 2 weeks, I take it away at night and give it back to them in the morning. I put vitamins/electrolytes in the water for the first week just to help out any that had a rough time during shipping or may just be weak from hatching. Then after about 4 weeks, they go outside in a pen that is on grass and moved daily. They still get feed, but I don't need to take it away at night because since there are no more heat lamps at this stage, they tend to sleep at night instead of eat
big_smile.png

I ordered my very first batch of meaties from Schlects too, after reading someone else's glowing recommendation. I split an order of 50 with my extension agent. They sent 51 and I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for a couple more extras.

But I was blown away by how heavy and healthy and vigorous they were. They just hit the ground running and never slowed down. I didn't lose the first one. (except for the dog's indescretion
roll.png
) I never gave them any supplements.

I just butchered the last ones today. Today I'm sick of chickens and glad they're in the fridge. But I'm sure going to order another batch from Schlects next spring!
smile.png

I got my order of 40 from Schlect's yesterday - same nifty box, and I even pulled out the straw matting to put in their pen over the shavings. I got 42 of them, every single one is thriving and active. VERY happy!
smile.png

Yup on the prices. There might be someone out there with better prices for CX including shipping, but I'm not sure - I didn't find them. I like the quality as well. They're still going gangbusters, all active and healthy. I was ready for a couple of downers but nothing at all. I can't spot a single weakling.

Back
Top Bottom