SchmidtChicks Waddling Adventure

Day 3 with our Waddlers and we've noticed a few whiting tail feathers! Very faint, but showing the slightest so excited.

We let the group out in their new pen on the grass after getting home from a day of errands and they loved the grass and swimming in their water dish (kitty littee tray).

20200409_183149.jpg

^ Plopped them all down in their paddling pool, not that its deep enough, the dd was more than happy to transfer them gently.

20200409_183216.jpg

^ Ace and Harley our two oldest boys saying Hello to their new feather siblings. They've done so well adjusting to the canin presence.

20200409_183326.jpg

^ A close up. Because look at those cute yellow fuzzies!

20200409_183530.jpg

^ Brought them all inside before dark to dry and enjoy attention. Back- Left Pogo, Right Legless. Front- Left Jelly, Right Bean.

20200409_183457.jpg

^ Dad giving the babies some soft rubs while they preen.

We cannot wait to get their coop equipment next week, and are also purchasing extra supplies as we're adding a pregnant doe to our family also.

Forever expanding to create my dream homestead (despite the partners hesitation he is supportive).

They are adorable.:love
Question the little one behind the duckling with the hand on it, walks and stands normal? sometimes ducklings can get deficient in niacin if fed a chick starter which hasn't enough for water fowl babies. Just wanted to make sure all have strong legs no wobbling or shaking or not standing up normal?

They are adorable.:love
Question the little one behind the duckling with the hand on it, walks and stands normal? sometimes ducklings can get deficient in niacin if fed a chick starter which hasn't enough for water fowl babies. Just wanted to make sure all have strong legs no wobbling or shaking or not standing up normal?

Yes, it walks and moves fine. They were all preening at the time so looked a little wonky. Only one ever has issues standing, but thats after prolonged time and looks to be because its bigger than its legs can hold for that long.

We are feeding them the food our local feed store suggested, but it isn't im a branded bag as they sell large, or subdivided sizes and it has no real information.

All four are active and talkative, based on their movements I think theres enough in their duckling starter. They gobble it up with water like its their last meal even though its there 24/7 when they decide their hungry.

Its been a few days, but the little waddlers are doing great~

We found the diy chicken coop or whatnot from when our chics were itty bitty and decided to use it for the ducklings- note: they love it!

We refresh their water multiple times a day, and they've got a bed of lucerne we keep an eye on.

20200412_104803.jpg

But, at the moment they're in a large dog crate, with 2 waters and scattered feed as we've gone to visit family and they came too! They get daily free range of the fenced yard, and we may move here soon to a property fully fenced so they can free range everyday.

20200414_133505.jpg

^ 4 little ducks went out one day, over the hill and far away~

20200414_133531.jpg

^ Preening session!

20200414_133426.jpg

^ Legless relies on no one! Its all his own pace haha.

So, we're still visiting family because of unexpected car troubles (got to love old cars huh?). And these four are doing great.

They're around 4 weeks old now, if not older, and I believe we have 2 girls 2 boys based on sizes and postures.

Pogo and Jelly hold themselves taller, less slumped and appear more compact in length- While Legless and Bean seem to hover theit chests along the floor and stumble more frequently.
Though I do believe Bean could be a girl also as she looks shorter in length than Legless.

20200416_161942.jpg

^ Everyone enjoying quiet time
20200415_150457.jpg

^ Sleepy babies (Front to Back- Legless, Pogo, Bean, Jelly)
20200418_122558.jpg

^ Little Pogo
20200418_122614.jpg

^ Miss Jelly along with Beans Bum and Legless in the background
20200418_122649.jpg

^ Bean - stumbles on occasion and decided to preen before getting up
20200418_122655.jpg

^ Legless Back and Pogo Front

Absolutely adoring their growing slowly, and our toddler is loving their company with swimming in the clam pool~

received_237666660972987.jpeg

^ Ella swimming with her not so rubber Duckies 🥰

Love those pics but I have to admit the dogs make me nervous. All it would take is one bite.
Are you giving them any type of niacin supplement?

No type of supplement as I've been trying to locate some near where we are, but we've made sure to buy feed with it in it. (People dont seem to know what I'm asking for half the time)

Thankfully our dogs are well aged, two being 7 years this year, the other is 4. They've been around baby kittens, itty bitty chicks, and ducklings smaller than these guys, but even still we supervise when the ducklings are out of their cage. (Our 2 chickens generally follow the dogs everywhere when back home because it means they can travel more of the 5 acres without worry of other predators.)

Back
Top Bottom