School project hatch, can eggs be left alone at school over weekend??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommyofthree, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I gave some of my fertile duck eggs (Indian Runners) to a relative of mine who is a school teacher. Soon she will also borrow a brooder set up from me so she can keep the ducklings in the classroom for a couple of days...assuming the hatch goes well. She has never hatched eggs before but the school has a very nice incubator and I gave her some tips so I think it will go well. I'm worried about the last weekend though since no one will be at the school. The eggs were set on a Monday so they should be due on a Monday. If they would hatch early (worst case scenario, Friday night) would they be okay being left in the incubator until Monday morning? The only other option I can think of is to have her take the incubator home on the last weekend, but then she'd probably end up with fluctuating temps and humidity right at lockdown time which doesn't sound good. Any thoughts?? I'm way too worried about these ducklings, lol. But they are my babies and if they hatch they are coming back to me!! [​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Well, best case scenario is someone should be there to keep an eye on the humidity, but as long as she locksdown before she leaves Friday night, they should come to school seeing a bunch of ducklings. Me? I wouldnt' sweat it too much, but in retrospect, they should have planned the hatch a bit better, like having them hatch on a thursday.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

She can lock them down on Friday before she leaves, or at the proper time, fill the reservoirs with water, and they will be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by