Science Fair ideas?

didn't read all the replies but last year for the 7th grade fair my stepdaughter & I did the connection between egg colors & chickens & nutritional values & some basic chicken anatomy. We used pics of our actual chickens, plus a pic of a leghorn since we don't have any white layers. We used our eggs too-hardboiled.
We were not allowed to use anything alive, or bring animals into the school. And we made a three dimensional egg model out of clay.
She got an A+
big_smile.png

Let me know if you want more details

47b7db24b3127cce83e731f8683c00000056108AYtnDdy3bs0

47b7db24b3127cce83e730e428b800000025138AYtnDdy3bs0

47b7db24b3127cce83e7316be99f00000016108AYtnDdy3bs0

Last edited:
Wow - great ideas! We have eight 2.5 month old hens, so no fertilized eggs and, actually, no eggs at all! And we are not good farmers so would never dream of butchering a chicken. I could give a rooster away to someone who would eat him, but could not actually do the deed. Embarrassing, but true...

OK, so refrigeration and eggs are out. What about "Which animal learns faster, a chicken or a dog?"

V

Thanks,
well we gave some general chicken info since my Step-daughter lives in an urban area, most people don't even know you can get eggs without a rooster.
Then we concluded that different color eggs do not nessicarily have different nutritional values & also that the egg color is almost always determined by the earlobe color-NOT the feather color.

The teacher was pleased & believe it our not alot of adults were hanging out around it surprised by the info. Most people there had never seen tinted eggs.
HTH!!

Kelly-
That is an impressive project! Clear dissemination of information is so welcomed by the general public,myself included. Your stepdaughter should be proud! Some of the most basic concepts ie., you don't need a rooster to have a egg, are not general knowledge. I had someone ask about my hens getting pregnant...and there was the one who asked if you could "milk a bull". It isn't that they aren't smart-It is just a world away for them. This is the good stuff! It makes me feel good that you are teaching people about something alot of us are passionate about! Thanks to you and your stepdaughter!

i did my 6th grade science project on "will a chicken gain more weight when dust bathing in topsoil or bark" i got honarable mentioned and got to go to the spring fair to present it.

I LOVE it! I admire all of the Animal Science fanatics, 4Hers and FFA kids. They show they have a very special maturity and understanding of their world by the respect they give their livestock.

I really haven't read any of the other posts so if this is a repeat of any info you've already recieved, than I apologize up front. How about doing things with the eggs? There's the egg in the bottle trick and various other ideas or if you're wanting to use your chickens how about something with their feathers? Like how they stay warm, or what you can use the moulted ones for etc.

Back
Top Bottom