Scissor Beak small but feisty

Zomestead

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2022
We have a scissor beak hen. We actually named her Scissor. Lol. My question is if she will for sure lay eggs? She also has foot deformities and well… bless her! :)

Scissors beak is pretty bad, but we hand feed her daily and we make sure she has access to mash. We used to grind food for her when she was a chick, but he’s gotten far more efficient and we have been either grinding or supplying mash. She does get some regular feed too, as we get crumbles in bulk and there’s tons of “powder.” We also feed her eggs from time to time. She does not eat mealworms, even if crushed.

She’s definitely small, but she was smaller than even the other silkie from the start. We got them mail order, and there was one smaller than we lost the same day. But Scissor… she is feisty and sweet!! We absolutely adore her and she falls asleep in our arms so sweet. She knows her name and our voice and is just adorable. She really is one of the lively ones, dust bathing, pecking the much larger hens like a boss….

Is it possible for her to never lay eggs? Should we worry about her size? But I just thought I should ask more experts! Thanks!!!

I kept one once. Never again, as a chick she seemed to hold her own, but eventually it was impossible to eat enough to maintain the bigger more grown body. She looked like she was eating, and seemed active. But when she died, I am pretty sure she was starving to death.

I kept one once. Never again, as a chick she seemed to hold her own, but eventually it was impossible to eat enough to maintain the bigger more grown body. She looked like she was eating, and seemed active. But when she died, I am pretty sure she was starving to death.
So sad! That’s my worry too! She’s so amazing, but I would never want her to suffer!

So sad! That’s my worry too! She’s so amazing, but I would never want her to suffer!
You could try weighing her regularly.

It can be hard to tell if a chicken has gained the "right amount" of weight. Weighing a few others can give you an idea of how much weight gain is normal at each age (although the smallest bird will probably gain the least.)

While she is supposed to be growing, no weight gain indicates a problem.

And losing weight is bad at any age (sort-of exception for broodies and molting chickens: the reproductive organs shrink, so the hen really does get lighter for a bit. But that weight comes back before they start laying again.)

Tracking her weight will not guarantee that she is healthy, but at least it will let you recognize if she's doing really badly (losing weight.)

Last edited:
It’s very possible that she may never lay. Or if she does, it may be later in life and very inconsistent. One of my crossbeak girls started laying at 8 months old and was on and off (more off than on) up until 11 months later. She’s laying consistently now.

It’s not uncommon for Silkies, especially Silkie bantams (which, if I had to guess, yours probably is), to start laying late. The most important thing is making sure she’s healthy, and the rest will follow.

Questions:
How old is she?
Could you post some pictures?
Have you ever trimmed her beak?

I agree with @NatJ ’s suggestion to weigh her regularly. I would also check her crop every night before bed to ensure she’s getting enough to eat.

If she’s struggling to eat, tube feeding is an option as well.

Back
Top Bottom