Scissor Beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henney penny, Oct 3, 2016.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I am having a problem with scissor beak in my silkies.It started showing up last year,may one or two, and this year I have had 6 with it.It shows up late in them,maybe 2 to 5 months.Is it genetic or are there other causes? This is very dishearten for me as they have to be put down as I dont want to pass this on to chicks.Does or can the rooster pass this on or is it more then hen? I have over 40 so it would be hard to pin point who is passing it on.I hope someone can help me figure this out and or give me some more info on it

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It can be caused by incubation conditions or natural deformity, but since you're seeing it in so many chicks all of the same breed, I'd say you have the form that's genetic. I believe it's generally regarded as a recessive gene, so parents may not show it. I'd recommend keeping back whatever of the crossbeak chicks survive to maturity, and test breeding them with your adult breeders to find out who's carrying the gene. You'd be wise to cull all carriers from the flock.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I forgot to put that they were hatched under broodies. Thank you for the input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by