Scissor beak

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
I tend to my chicks every day and check them out every day too, but I have never noticed that one of my chicks has scissor beak until this morning. I noticed her upper beak wasn’t symmetrical to her face and checked both sides of he beak and noticed there is a very slight gap between her upper and lower beak. Looks like the upper and lower beak is still lined up with a slight gap, but seeing the upper beak isn’t symmetrical I’m wondering if it going to get worse. How could I have not noticed it until today? Maybe it just wasn’t noticed until today? Any good information on what to do, would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0243.jpeg
    IMG_0243.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 17
I believe scissor beak develops as the chick grows. What breed is she? If that's ultimately what she has, you'll need to monitor to make sure she can eat and drink, as well as ensure the other chicks don't target her. Poor thing, she's so adorable!

I believe scissor beak develops as the chick grows. What breed is she? If that's ultimately what she has, you'll need to monitor to make sure she can eat and drink, as well as ensure the other chicks don't target her. Poor thing, she's so adorable!
She’s a Speckled Sussex and today was the first I’ve noticed it. She has been eating and drinking and I haven’t noticed any of them picking on her. I got them all at age 2 weeks and they’re now 5 weeks old.

I think it's okay, it could get worse as she gets older though and you'll have time make sure she's able to actually eat. Typically if the bottom and top still line up, it doesn't get too bad in my experience. I wouldn't hatch any chicks from her though
Thank you. No hatching, no rooster, they’re pets that’ll provide eggs. I’ll definitely keep an eye on her and hopefully it doesn’t get worse as she grows. also worried if it’ll be a problem keeping her mouth moist, seeing it has a gap.

Thank you. No hatching, no rooster, they’re pets that’ll provide eggs. I’ll definitely keep an eye on her and hopefully it doesn’t get worse as she grows. also worried if it’ll be a problem keeping her mouth moist, seeing it has a gap.
Nah. I have a few birds with varying gaps, they do fine

Back
Top Bottom