Scooting? I've never raised chicks, no clue if this is normal or not?

Hjgh91

Chirping
Jun 14, 2021
Wisconsin
So, I have never had chicks. I wound up with 2 injured baby chicks, they are between 1-2 weeks old. One is totally healed, the other is hopefully on the mend. I've done a post about it, big scab on it's back from being pecked by mom.

I have had them for just over a week. I have a camera in the brooder that I can watch from my phone because I am high anxiety.

I have noticed both chicks doing a weird thing occasionally where they...scoot? Like hop around on their belly flapping their wings and shaking their butt? Almost as if they are trying to dust bathe? They walk fine the rest of the time, scratch around like they are looking for bugs, seem totally ok.

The more injured one I am more worried about-sometimes seems to lay on its side and flail a bit, roll from side to side. Doesn't look like a seizure, I think it might be trying to scratch its scab on the ground? Maybe it's itchy? I have no idea. I saw it doing it this morning. It ended up being about a 8 minute thing of rolling from side to side, scooting, and butt shaking. At the end, it popped right up with no trouble and has since then walking normally, eating, drinking. I am mystified....any ideas?

I've noticed it do it about twice the past few days, but I dont watch them every second. I've seem the stronger one do the belly scoot too, but not for as long or as dramatically. So odd. Are chicks just super weird?

Last edited:
Sounds like they are trying to dust bathe in the brooder.
I really hope that's it. They don't seem distressed or anything, it just looks alarming to see them rolling back and forth and flapping and I worry! They don't seem to struggle to stand at any other point in time. Maybe I should give them some sand! I read that I can put it in the brooder as long as it is grittier construction sand instead of fine play sand.

I vote for dust bathing! Or as I like to call it when there is no dust available: mock dust bathing :love . My Littles will mock dust bathe in my lap, on my shoulder, on their baby blankets (yes, yes, I make multiple mini, mini blankies for my babies when they’re little so they have something soft to rest on:wee). I take it as a sign of content and comfort, so it sounds like your babies are very happy:love.

Back
Top Bottom