Scorpion sting - sick hen UPDATE - doing better with benadryl

Thank-you for digging up this thread.
thumbsup.gif
I have written all the dosage information down and will add benadryl to my chick first aid kit. How would you go about making this a sticky?

Quote:
I would think her body would have filtered out the toxins. Up to you though. Probably better safe then sorry.

She may have laid an egg the same way some pregnant animals are induced into labour when poisoned/deathly ill/starved? The body needs to concentrate on itself rather than reproduction so it gets rid of 'unnecessary' parts of its being. Same as when sick bird lose feathers, it conserves energy (not feeding the feathers with blood) needed for staying alive.

THANK-YOU! Yesterday my chicken was playing in the garden and 1/2 hour later was down and couldn't walk. If it wasn't for this thread on Benedryl I might have lost her. She was wheezing all through the night and about 3am I put her back out in the coop. This morning she is alert and a little bit wobbly.. but the worse is over. It does look like she took a direct hit in her eye because she still can't open it. Thanks for Tempe, AZ. Calling an exterminator today!

Thank you so much for this thread. I have been reading this site randomly through google searches since March when we got our chickens, and my Barred Rock has what we are pretty sure was a scorpion sting. She matched everything on this site, symptom wise. Thanks to my gf, she read about this while I claimed heat stroke(men assume we know everything, women verify), and gave some Benadryl to our Annabelle Leigh. So far she is doing better, but not sure if yours were spewing mucus out and drooling, and when held upside down, it was a flow of puss and other gross stuff. She is now in the cooler bathroom in a dog kennel relaxing, and hoping she makes it through the night. She is my chicken, out of the 13, and is the one I would be devastated if I lost her.

Good news... Benedryl works wonders. It was a scorpion sting, and our Annabelle was oozing mucus and puss from her mouth, but after carefully getting all we could out of the way, we gave her some benedryl and a couple nights alone in a dog cage in the bathroom. She is now a happy bird and playing the role of enforcer and eating bugs. For extra good measure, not only did we force feed her the benedryl but also left it in her water over night, and she slept like a baby.

Good news... Benedryl works wonders. It was a scorpion sting, and our Annabelle was oozing mucus and puss from her mouth, but after carefully getting all we could out of the way, we gave her some benedryl and a couple nights alone in a dog cage in the bathroom. She is now a happy bird and playing the role of enforcer and eating bugs. For extra good measure, not only did we force feed her the benedryl but also left it in her water over night, and she slept like a baby.

Great information in this thread!

I know this thread is really old, but just in case someone can use the info, here's what we do in Mexico that works most of the time for scorpion stings to any pet or farm animal: we force feed it ground raw garlic...we also injest this ourselves as well, if we get stung...now we have different types of scorpions here in Mexico, but there is no evidence to prove that it matters.

Back
Top Bottom