Scorpion sting - sick hen UPDATE - doing better with benadryl

When I have been stung by the bark scorpion, I used a paste of baking soda and water. Applied it on the sting and it helped to pull a little of the posion out. Kinda of felt better too.

Praying for you,

Bosque

My dad has been holding her for the last 30 minutes. He says she is breathing better. I can hear her breathing in and out and before there was pretty much no air movement. Her eyes are open a bit more. She is also using her feet to grip his hands whereas before the benadryl she had her legs thrust out stiff and couldn't seem to use her feet at all.

So, perhaps the benadryl is working.
fl.gif

I know bark scorpions are very painful, what can I give her for pain?

thanks to everyone...

I googled-wash the area w/ soap and water, apply cool compress I am thinking maybe some aspirin will help. I have read that feeding peanut butter helps draw toxins out of blood stream in avians. Sure hope that girl is okay. We have the less venomous bark scorpions here.

Edit-So glad she is doing better! Aspirin will help w/ pain. not sure of dose though.

Last edited:
Just found dosage here on BYC- 1 baby aspirin crushed per cup of water Or #5 325 mg pills crushed in a gallon of water. Lets see so that would be #1.25 325 mg pill per quart water.

Last edited:
After she recovers from the sting, the area probably will swell and fill with fluid. You may need to give antibiotics after the benadryl has cleared her system.

Well, I put her down for the night. She seems very sedated, and while she is still having a hard time breathing she is moving air a lot better than she was. I put her down and she is just kindof laying flat on her belly with her head laid down in front. She occasionally picks her head up, but not for long. At least she isn't craning and gaping anymore.

I turned the lights out and will let her rest. I'll check on her intermittently and give you all an update.

Thanks so much for the support!

Back
Top Bottom