SCOTT! - What went wrong?

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
I have learned (the hard way) to not interfer with the babies hatching. I have on past experiences "helped" and lost babies. So yesterday a call baby and pipped and zipped on its own. I noticed a pip in the morning, left it alone all day. By 10 last night, it had zipped 95% around. At 2am was out of the shell but still attached so I left it alone. At 6am it was out of the shell but dead in the bator. What gives? If I help, they die so this one I left it totally alone, it died. It was perfectly formed, yolk totally absorbed. I don't get it.

Just wondered if you had experienced this. It was in the Brinsea Mini. ?????? There are still 6 eggs in there.

Quote:
Its difficult to say what happened. Its strange that the duckling had the strength to get out of the egg, but then died. Its been my experience that calls take a long to hatch from the time of first pip... even as long as 48 hours. Its possible that the duckling was so exhausted that it expired. Where did you get the eggs from?

I had 6 mandarin eggs... the ducklings made it right up to hatch, then died. I heard them pecking and chirping. Only one of them pipped, the rest died before pipping. I helped the one that pipped hatch out. It was weak for several days, then started getting better, but ultimately died. Can't really figure it out myself... 5 of the 6 developed right up to hatch then died. Temp and humidity seemed right, so I dont know.

Last edited:
These are some of the things that make Calls so difficult to hatch, so when people ask me why they are so expensive as young or grown birds, I always think "HA! You have NO idea what it takes to get these guys into the world!" They sometimes just seem determined to die on you!

Quote:
Its difficult to say what happened. Its strange that the duckling had the strength to get out of the egg, but then died. Its been my experience that calls take a long to hatch from the time of first pip... even as long as 48 hours. Its possible that the duckling was so exhausted that it expired. Where did you get the eggs from?

I had 6 mandarin eggs... the ducklings made it right up to hatch, then died. I heard them pecking and chirping. Only one of them pipped, the rest died before pipping. I helped the one that pipped hatch out. It was weak for several days, then started getting better, but ultimately died. Can't really figure it out myself... 5 of the 6 developed right up to hatch then died. Temp and humidity seemed right, so I dont know.

The eggs came from my own birds. My girls just will not sit. That's why I got the Brinsea. I was thinking a good bator would help. This is so hard. I knew I would have to deal with some deaths but this is depressing.....Thanks tho' Scott. Never give up, never surrender!

Last edited:
hugs.gif

I know I wasn't invited to this thread, but I hope you don't mind my crashing it to say I'm so sorry about your baby.
sad.png
I keep thinking I want calls, but with all the trouble you all go to with the hatching... I don't think I have the heart for it.

Crossing my fingers for the other six...
fl.gif

There's a definite knack to hatching these guys, it's both an art and a science...I consider myself very fortunate that I have a friend close at hand who is not only a 16 year veteran of hatching just about everything except Call ducks, but is also a holistic healer and Reiki master. She has an excellent feel for these kind of things and she has taught me some of that, and I've picked up what I think are some very good pointers from a few of the old timers. I'm trying to get her to pick up the hobby again with Calls but I think she's in a transition in life now so she's getting her hatching enjoyment from helping me and my birds.

I wish you guys weren't so far away so I could help! PM me if you have any questions and I can share some of my observations about these. I feel I am having a pretty swell amount of success here with them...last week's hatch of 22 eggs yielded 19 live ducklings, only one of which I have lost. They're all a week old and pretty active now...8 blacks and 10 butterscotch.

I have to admit though, every hatch still has me on pins and needles wondering what could happen and what is actually going to happen...one thought I got with these last two hatches is that the later birds seem to be hardier when it comes to hatching that the ones from earlier in the year.

we hatched 4 last week and all dead the next morning.....yup, they are not fun to hatch and raise. Another bad year for hatching call ducks and goslings.

Mrs. Turbo :

we hatched 4 last week and all dead the next morning.....yup, they are not fun to hatch and raise. Another bad year for hatching call ducks and goslings.

Oh, I don't think I could handle hatching Calls! That's terrible, I'm so sorry!
hit.gif

Sundown, if you see this thread. I'd like to hear what you do to get your mandarin eggs to hatch. I've got another batch due to hatch in a week or so, and I can't afford to loose another batch.

As for calls, I've had no problem hatching ducklings from my hens this year. However, the hatches I've had from SQ lines were more difficult.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom