Scouts, egg drop contest.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mesa, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Ok, we have a scouting event tomorrow where we will be dropping eggs to see whose egg can be dropped the farthest without breaking.
    Any suggestions for a box or something to use for this? I'm in over my head here!

2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    What materials can you use?

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe a small box lined with that foam egg crate stuff? Wrapped in a bunch of poly batting from the craft store? Hmmmm.... let us know how it works out.

4. TillinWithMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    If you are allowed to use them, balloons taped all the way around the egg are excellent. They absorb the shock very well.

5. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

We had this contest at my elementary school. Basically packing stuff like those foamy things, and bubble wrap. Possibly some poly-fill like the stuff in pillows, and/or high loft polyester batting.

Goodluck!

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Make sure the box is sturdy enough not to break too. I'll ask my son to answer because the fifith grade did it this year.

7. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    We can use anything.

Thank you all for your help! As far as I know we can use anything.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    My son used a Paint Can then cut foam to fit inside it. Put the egg in the middle and put on the lid, it held up to a drop off school roof.

9. TillinWithMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Maybe wrap the egg in bubble wrap and then put balloons on the outside? Balloons work really well, and, act like an airbag, on the outside.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My son has done one where he put the egg in a small box lined with foam, attatched a couple parachutes to slow it down, then covered the outside of the box with balloons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by