Scovie broodiness?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Swamp Roo, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    I have a pair of scovies and the hen has been laying away in the container that holds the hay for feeding the rabbits (grumble, grumble [​IMG]). At least she finally quit tearing all of the chickens nest boxes apart. There are now about twenty +/- eggs. I would have figured she would be sitting on them by now since scovies are known to be pretty good sitters (right?). Should I just let her be or is there some way I can encourage her? She/they are in a big run with about 10 chickens, some quail pens, and obviously the rabbit hutches. I really can't isolate her with the eggs without some major changes that I just can't do right now.

Thanks.

Swamp

2. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    just leave her be. we had a scovy who hatched 18 eggs.... and if you try and move her she wont sit on the eggs. and yep, they are mad-broody

good luck!
    :)

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    my scovie hen has 11 eggs and she's not sitting yet either! i'd say let her be. let nature take its course, that's what i'm doing.... impatiently lol

4. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Thanks, I'll just let her be. I "invited" the pair into the run a couple of months ago after feeding them in the yard for a week or two, and they have settled in nicely. She won't let me hand feed her, but will feed within a couple of feet if I'm crouched down. We will see...

Swamp

5. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    She has finally decided to sit. Boy does she whistle at me when I come near. [​IMG] She is not very aggressive at all, so when I pull some hay to give to the rabbits, she just nibbles me very gently. I expected her to be much more forceful.

Swamp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: