'Scovie Colors?

Olive Hill

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Not a great picture, but of the ducks you can see in the picture, anybody care to enlighten me as to what color they would be considered. I'm color handicapped.
tongue.png
(And if any of you muscovy whisperers out there can miraculously tell gender of any ducks pictured, by all means... I'd love to know.)

5090390212_902fd166d7.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great photo! They look like Blue Fawns (the chocolatey-blue color) and Blues. The one in the very front Definitely strikes me as GIRL, she has such a feminine-looking face already... The one to the far right looks like a boy & the Blue to the far left looks like a girl.

They all look like they're different ages though so it's hard to tell by size so i am just going by feminine/masculine features
smile.png

I'd say the two blues are drakes and the others are female. Harder to tell from this angle, IMO.

As for the brownish color, it doesn't look like blue fawn OR chocolate to me. Not dark enough for chocolate and not blueish-brown enough to be blue fawn.

Quote:
Okay, I have to ask why you think the two blues are drakes -- specifically the one facing directly away from the camera? You can't see anything but his color... is that it?
hmm.png

As for the brownish color, it doesn't look like blue fawn OR chocolate to me. Not dark enough for chocolate and not blueish-brown enough to be blue fawn.

Is there another color you think it is?

They all look like they're different ages though so it's hard to tell by size so i am just going by feminine/masculine features

Yes, I should have included that. They're all different ages. The feminine one in the front and the one facing away from the camera all snuggled up to the one you think is a drake on the right are still all down, the blue whose face you can see and the one snuggled up with the feminine one in the front still have some down, some feathers and the other two are pretty well feathered out. Thanks for weighing in on them.
smile.png

Do the brownish ones have a blue tint to them also? I think the lighting may be affecting the way their color apprears but that is my best guess. I have seen some before that are a bit different, like a paler chocolate(almost like coffee with cream in it) but i don't know the color name for it.

Here's one of my blue fawns at about the same age as yours:
DSCN3811.JPG
DSCN3822.JPG

Last edited:
Quote:
To my untrained eyes, yes, I'd say they have a blue hue. The picture is probably a little on the warm side. I have a tendency to do that in the fall. I'm an artist first, accurate photographer second... or tenth, whatever.
wink.png
lol.png

I think they're males because they're bigger and bulkier looking. If they're from different hatches, that could explain that, however. But, I still think the blues are male.
smile.png
I also think the larger brown/white is a male, and the three in the front are female.

If they DO have a blueish hue, they are blue fawns. They don't look like they have any blue from this picture.

Here's my blue fawn about the same age (on left) and my 'unknown' color hen (on right)

DSCF1883.jpg

Here's a chocolate for comparision in color:

DSCF1514.jpg

Here is my other 'unknown' that look lighter than yours - I think it's a bad silver or a fawn, though I've never had either born here so I don't know.
smile.png
She's a very faint cream on her back, darker on her chest than elsewhere. I

DSCF1877.jpg

Back
Top Bottom