Scraggly 7 week old Easter Egger still not feathered...

I have so enjoyed the whole Camilla/Camillo back and forth. I ordered females from MPC but mistakes happen. While I know roosters are often slower to feather the fact that she/he has been stuck in this state for over two weeks is what’s perplexing to me.​

Firstly it sounds like you are naming them after the royal family, which tickled me in all the right places! Camilla does totally look like a Speckled Sussex, and does kinda look like a boy (MPC sent me a boy SS on accident too!). More importantly, maybe Camilla is just behind because of the delay caused by being small, getting a rougher start. I wish I had more to say in terms of knowledge, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. If I were in your position I would be giving chick vitamins on occasion, some yogurt for probiotics from time to time and just good feed (and asking questions on here!). I hope he/she catches up...and doesn't become a "he" like the comb and wattles predict right now, it's a bit early for the pink wattles and that comb looks like it has popped a bit for this age to be a pullet, but it may stop or slow in the weeks to come, it's really early to tell. Good luck!
Exactly! My feathered royalty. I’m fine with Camilla being a Camilla—we’ll have to do a chicken royalty press release “First Trans Member of Royal Family.”

Are there any particular brands of vitamins or even special feeds you would recommend? In my gut I feel like there is some kind special nutritional need that will help him over the rough start he had in life.

Hope this isn’t TMI but I am kind of excited if Camilla is a Camilo. Since Cam is so hand tame and friendly I am hoping that he will be able to join the flock that will be training to take part in therapy work and in our humane education programs! We have a large bachelor flock that we can show folks that are able to come to the farm but not everyone is able to come to us. So this could turn out to be one of those serendipitous gifts from the universe.

She is NOT molting. :rolleyes:
Eye roll not necessary. I was in the hospital when you posted this. You aren't the OP. I'm not sure if I can make this about me. But I was hit by a car bike riding. A mountain bike. And my battery was low I didn't respond. I raised adult chickens before. Mine molted similar. But this chicken has something else.

First let me be so bold as to answer your tag line-we stand a good chance of finding our better selves in the hen house! She should be but the other speckled Sussex that came from the same hatching day are also way ahead of her. As a little chick she looked exactly like the other Easter eggers—like a fuzzy chipmunk chicken. It’s not impossible but she is still way behind with the feathering. Again—she seems very healthy otherwise which is why I’m so puzzled.

This little one is definitely on the odd side of things. I am hoping the corner can be turned and she/he ends up thriving like everyone else.

Please do updates so we can all learn no matter the outcome.

Exactly! My feathered royalty. I’m fine with Camilla being a Camilla—we’ll have to do a chicken royalty press release “First Trans Member of Royal Family.”

Are there any particular brands of vitamins or even special feeds you would recommend? In my gut I feel like there is some kind special nutritional need that will help him over the rough start he had in life.

Hope this isn’t TMI but I am kind of excited if Camilla is a Camilo. Since Cam is so hand tame and friendly I am hoping that he will be able to join the flock that will be training to take part in therapy work and in our humane education programs! We have a large bachelor flock that we can show folks that are able to come to the farm but not everyone is able to come to us. So this could turn out to be one of those serendipitous gifts from the universe.
I think Camilla/o is in very good hands! I have some chick boost vitamins, but there are lots out there to choose from. I very much trust people on this site to be very forthcoming and helpful about their experiences with product usage. I like mine because it is really easy to dose for a gallon quantity. I will add a pic. I use mine after they are off their medicated feed, as the thiamine will negate the amprolium in the feed. I usually give the girls the boost vitamins every other week for one day just to give them a “boost” 😀.
Sometimes it is about holding steady and being patient. I think the only other step I would take in your place is to consult an avian vet. I have an app called Televet and I can talk to my avian vet that way and we do a teleconsult, we usually do a video one so he can see what is up and the cost is typically less than an in person visit. It would be up to the provider, but ours is 74. If your feed is a balanced starter with 20% protein you are probably doing all you can in that sense. We are all here for you. Let us know how it is going!

Vitamins!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 2
Eye roll not necessary. I was in the hospital when you posted this. You aren't the OP. I'm not sure if I can make this about me. But I was hit by a car bike riding. A mountain bike. And my battery was low I didn't respond. I raised adult chickens before. Mine molted similar. But this chicken has something else.
Chickens molt at 15-18 months. They molt out a few tail feathers around 8-10 weeks.
And I’m sorry for what happened to you, but saying ’I’m not sure you can make this about me’ and then making it all about you is kinda ruining it.

I haven't read the whole thread, but that looks just like my SS from Meyer. MPC gets a lot of their birds from Meyer. I've seen a lot of people recently that had SS issues. My poor girl unfortunately did not make it. Here's her 6 week old pics. I have pics of her as she got older but they're on my old phone.
20190917_093629_HDR.jpg
20190917_093628_HDR.jpg
20190917_093754_HDR.jpg

I'm thinking yours is a SS too. Mine was really messed up. Meyers just claimed failure to thrive, but I've seen a lot of people with SSs with retarded growth lately.

Back
Top Bottom