Scrap Metal Help Please

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
For the past 2-3 weeks someone has been dropping off metal and then picking it up. First I found 2 garbage bags of electrical copper wire and computer cords along with aluminum from sliding glass doors. There was a suitcase that I didn't open as well. They came and picked up the bags and suitcase while I was in town, so the police didn't see it.

I had the sheriff come out and they said I could keep it and sell it without getting in trouble.

The second time, I had the sheriff come out again. I picked up and kept the bag of wire and rearranged all the things and put the floor stripper out by the side of the road.

I would really like the person who is doing this to not do it on my property. Any advice on how to get them to go away? It makes me really uncomfortable.

Right now, I have a 10 lb bag of electric cords (copper wire) Do I need to take the casings off to take it to the scrap metal place?

What are Duraflame Grills made out of? There is one of those out there too.

This is on the far corner of my property and I cannot see it when I am home due to trees etc. Nor do my dogs bark as they can't see it either.

Copper wire bring's more money with the insulation off but most scrap iron place's will buy it with the insulation still on. Take a magnet and anything that doesn't stick is considered what they call white good's. To sell white good's you have to have any steel peice's cleaned off. What I would be wondering is why these people are stashing the good's on your property? Are the good's stolen? Hugh!!!! Maybe you should steal the good's and they will quit using your property. The scrap iron business is a lot of hard work. Been there, done that, don't ever want to do it again unless I'm broke and hungry.

I would stick a letter on it asking the person concerned to stop "fly tipping" on your property, it is a big offence here in the Uk to do that and caries a hefty fine if the "perp" is caught. It will make them aware that you are aware of what they are doing. Hopefully it will stop. Make you letter polite but to the point.

Most places here will take wires with casings and stuff that is "dirty" but just pay less per lb for it. Sheriff here said that they couldn't do anything about people using our property and mail box as a drop site either. My brother and I plan on camping out with some artillery some day, but so far, a note in the box has deterred them along with the OK to the sheriff deputes to use our drive way as a place to watch for speeders.

They told us also, that if we find homeless encampment materials like bags, clothes, and other stuff on the property, we just have to glove up, bag it, and dump it ourselves.

Quote:
Oh dear by artillery you not refer to handguns are you? What happens if you do that and the "perp" has a gun also....does not bear thinking about. Think the sherriff's attiude is very negative! he is condoning tipping and then expecting you to tip elsewhere also.......funny old world we live in.

Last edited:
By "dirty" wire I mean wire that has been used in electronics, or plumbing that has been installed. They pay more for "clean" wire that has not been installed, or used, and is still clean like you buy it in the store.

There's nothing the sheriffs can do out here if people are not caught in the act. Where we are is a VERY high crime part of town. I'd take something bigger than a handgun if I really had to go out there. But then again, I think an armed society is a polite society. What is worse if I was out there, caught the people, they had that gun, and I only had a flashlight. If there is a chance that they are armed, why not be armed myself. People who will illegally own guns are the ones that you'd have to worry about since they'd have a blantant disregard for rules in the firs tplace. Nobody would have to know that I was armed unless it really came down to it. Most people I confront wandering ignore me and walk quickly away because they know they are trespassing.

Back
Top Bottom