Scraped Scales HELP!

eggcellence

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Hi,

My brown leghorn happened to get his leg caught in the security door of my house while attempting to follow my distracted brother inside. My sibling, who had his earphones blaring, did not take notice there was a flailing rooster behind him, and thusly shut the front door too, pinning the poor rooster in between the doors, with his foot still helplessly caught.

Needless to say, I was stunned there wasn't more harm done. The only damage seen so far has been a patch of scraped scales along his shank that was caught in the door. That is, they are missing. No doubt this is terribly painful, because he is reluctant to even stand, let alone put weight on the injured leg.

Is there anything we can do to soothe his suffering? Will this heal in time? Or will he be permenantly lame?

CHickens are very resilient. I'm sure he will heal with your help. Clean the wound with a ONE TIME application of peroxide. Dry gently and apply neosporin without the pain relief ingredient. The pain relief ingredient is toxic to birds. If the scraped scales are bad enough you might want to consider bandaging loosley.

I would keep him separate for a few days to rest and heal. He doesn't need anyone pecking at hom or trampling him when he doesn't feel well. Make sure he is comfortable (an old towel works well) has food and water and give a couple of treats. If it were me i would get some Poly Vi Sol liquid baby vitamins (without iron) and give him 2 drops by beak in the morning and 2 drops by beak in the evening just to make sure he is getting the vitamins he needs to heal.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Could he have some bruising on that leg that he doesn't want to put weight on?
For external wounds, I usually use antibiotic ointment. If it's deep or long, I'll bandage with cotton and adhesive sport wrap. This is kind of the way I treat everything, though. I've never had to deal with very serious wounds, but, for scratches or cuts, it seems to do the job.
I've also found that, after the wound has healed a bit, it helps to let it have some air. It seems to heal faster that way, although other chickens love to peck at it if the scab is not formed completely. Peroxide, after the first application, actually seems to undo any scabbing.
Hope your bird is alright!

Thank you both so much for your help!

I will do as reccommended, and post pictures as he heals. <3

Back
Top Bottom