scraps to my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beckysaur, Nov 11, 2008.

1. beckysaur

beckysaur Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    When can I start feeding my chickens scraps? Mine are about 4 weeks old (buff orpingtons.) They are still on starter feed.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I started with treats at about 4 weeks, but only a little bit at a time. I didn't want to over feed them....

3. beckysaur

beckysaur Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    what kind of stuff would be good to feed them at this point?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

bits of tomato, lettuce, apple, any fruit or veggie really. Just small amts to start with - they never seem to know when to stop.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Deb is right about not giving them too much in the way of treats. They're growing at a tremendous rate and they need the complete nutrition of their starter/grower.
    Like little human peeps, if you give them a choice of junk food or a healthy meal, they'll go for the junk food every time. Not that treats are junk food, but you get the idea.
    I feel it's best to start with the simplest foods first. Try some chopped hard boiled egg or some plain, low fat yogurt. Both are good for them and will get them used to trying new foods.
    After that, add new treats one at a time. Wait a few days and add another, always in reasonable amounts.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Boiled egg whites will make you their friend for life. Crumble it up when you are feedit to them and watch them after a couple times. Very amusing antics (and good for them too).

7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    When mine were a month or two old, I had more lettuce in my garden than we could eat. I handfed them lettuce & later, tomotoes. They are super friendly and tame.
    Cooked spaghetti is a great treat, once in awhile. Mine fight over it; it's fun to watch them chase eachother for a noodle.

8. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    I started feeding mine bits of whole wheat bread when they were 5 weeks old. They also liked watermelon and grapes chopped nice and small.

9. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    boiled eggs....or scrambled. It will appear as if you are dropping relief shipments for the starving chicken babies from heaven. They will love it. My ladies chase me back and forth waiting for the goods.

10. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    my chookies are five weeks old. since about 2 or 3 weeks i've been feeding leftover cooked oatmeal, apple cores (no seeds), celery tops, thinnings from the garden, leftover biscuits, carrots. along with unlimited access to chick crumbles. i think the other kinds of foods are welcome stimulation and nutrients! they like to hack apart the carrot pieces and chase each other with chunks of oatmeal and eat it off each others' beaks. they're certainly well equipped opportunivores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by