Scratch and peck feed

:frow I am not a fan of whole or cracked grain type feeds so I am going to say I don't think either of these two feeds are good.
I believe a pelleted or crumble type feed is better because the birds can't pick and choose what exactly they want to eat, which can cause problems if they don't get a complete balanced diet.

If you need help looking for another soy free feeds let me know.
I have a list of some. (you can actually find the list linked below in my signature)

:frow I am not a fan of whole or cracked grain type feeds so I am going to say I don't think wither of these two feeds.
I believe a pelleted or crumble type feed is better because the birds can't pick and choose what exactly they want to eat, which can cause problems if they don't get a complete balanced diet.

If you need help looking for another soy free feeds let me know.
I have a list of some. (you can actually find the list linked below in my signature)

I would love a list of something similar to scratch and peck but in a pellet or crumble. My chickens waste so much, most of it just goes all over and I’m having to buy more too often. Any help is much appreciated!

I would love a list of something similar to scratch and peck but in a pellet or crumble. My chickens waste so much, most of it just goes all over and I’m having to buy more too often. Any help is much appreciated!
Similar how?
Grain feeds like this are different (looking) than a pellet or crumble feed so they are not similar in that form.
This is my sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1upDVFXEQPK8PUIF6Sj3Bt5CUQfX1PlTEhg799sDT-qM/edit?usp=sharing

There are soy free feeds on it.

eta. One random soy free pelleted feed: 18% All Purpose Poultry Pellet Non-GMO Corn-Free Soy-Free

Similar how?
Grain feeds like this are different (looking) than a pellet or crumble feed so they are not similar in that form.
This is my sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1upDVFXEQPK8PUIF6Sj3Bt5CUQfX1PlTEhg799sDT-qM/edit?usp=sharing

There are soy free feeds on it.

eta. One random soy free pelleted feed: 18% All Purpose Poultry Pellet Non-GMO Corn-Free Soy-Free

Similar as in corn-free, soy-free, non GMO, just like the link you shared. I’m going to check it out. Thank you!

Wow thank you for all the responses. I will definitely check out that list! It makes a lot of sense about the pellets/crumbles too
I don't do a good job explaining it.
Give me one second and I am going to show you a post by @rebrascora that explains it a thousand times better.
BRB.
(I should have just quoted @rebrascora 's post earlier...I wasn't thinking)

I found it:
The problem with minimally processed feeds like Scratch and Peck is as @rosemarythyme mentions, that chickens (some more than others) will bill it out and pick through it for their favourite bits, usually the high carbohydrate grains and sometimes leave the less attractive pulses which are higher in protein for rodents or lower ranking birds to clean up and often the fines which contain minerals, vitamins and essential amino acids are lost/wasted in the process. I'm not totally convinced that even fermenting it will ensure a balanced diet because the components swell in size when they are fermented and should therefore make it easier to pick out their favourite bits but assuming that @rosemarythyme has been using the product in such a way for many years without encountering health issues or sudden deaths in their flock, then I can only defer to his/her experience.

There are a number of posts here on BYC about birds that have died suddenly from Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome at 1+years old and it is strongly believed that such feeds, along with a genetic disposition, are responsible. Birds that are penned and therefore get limited exercise will also be more at risk with such a feed. Heavier birds like Orpingtons, Sussex, Brahmas etc will be more prone to Fatty liver Disease. The disease is common with pet birds too I am told like parrots that are kept caged and fed a mixed seed diet. The build up of fat in the abdomen can also lead to laying problems like prolapse and salpingitis and internal laying, all of which can be fatal. It can almost equate to feeding your chickens scratch each day.

There is also much more waste with these type of feeds because the birds naturally want to rifle through it to find their favourite bits and they bill it out of the feeder to do so and scratch it around on the ground, as compared to a processed feed where it is homogenous and therefore no point in billing it out so they just eat it.

I appreciate why you might want to feed one of these feeds but be aware that they are expensive, there can be a quite a bit of waste because of the instinct to bill it out to find their favourite bits, they may attract rodents due to the spillage and they may actually be less healthy for your chickens than a more processed feed. You have to remember that a natural diet is fine for a wild bird, but chickens usually roam over a limited area and their bodies have been selectively bred to produce an unnatural number of eggs. These factors make dietary requirements really important. Like a top level athlete their bodies are working at optimum production but like children, if you give them a free choice they will often eat the goodies and not get a balanced diet and feeds like this allow that. I would certainly urge you to at least soak or ferment if you are using these feeds.

I encourage people to test my argument by placing some Scratch and Peck on a hard surface and watching which components they eat first and what is left when they are finished and then remember that this food billed out onto the ground under the feeder is not so easily visible or cleaned up. Spillage under the feeder can also grow mould in damp climates and that poses other health risks.

I'm not saying don't use these feeds (although I personally would not) but be aware of the risks/issues and balance that against your goals and ideals and monitor your chickens closely for any indication they are carrying too much fat. Feathers can hide a lot and many people are used to seeing supermarket chickens which are plump and do not realise that laying birds should not be like that.

I wish you luck with your flock whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom