1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scratch as complete feed?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by davidtrinh797, Apr 16, 2016.

1. davidtrinh797

davidtrinh797 New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    So I have recently been trying to convince my mum that layer feeds are nutritionally balanced for our chickens but she says that scratch feed is better for them because there is more 'stuff' in it and therefore more balanced. She also says layer feeds have chemicals in them. Can someone help clarity this please?

P.S Could this product be a possible solution?
    http://www.petandgarden.com.au/poultry-scratch-feed-avigrain-pellet-and-grain-mix.html

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    The feed in your link would be fine for a balanced feed. You can feed chickens scratch as a main feed and they will live and probably lay some eggs but they probably won't be performing up to their full ability

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    IMO layers feed is the best option to ensure that your chickens lay well, and remain healthy. We have created, through selective breeding "super chickens" that lay more frequently than they did even 100 years ago, and thus the development of specific feeds that meet their dietary requirements.

Everywhere in Africa (where i live), almost all families keep chickens, but where they are not given proprietary feeds, their production levels are woeful. I should add that the cost of such feed is out of the reach of the average rural family, and chickens often serve additional customary roles than just producing eggs.

CT

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by