scratch feed or crumbles

Henny peeny

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
NC
Hi all I have not been on here for sometime things have been going good so far I had a few die and something got in and killed one of my chickens but since 2018 all is well. I am having trouble with my husband he thinks scratch feed is ok to feed all the time we did this before and the chickens ( at that time I had two bantams and two standard) they stopped laying I said it was because the scratch doesn't give them enough to make eggs and these chickens were not old when they stopped so I told my husband they need something else I feed crumbles they don't like pellets. Now can someone tell me why not scratch all the time I tell him it is not enough for them but he says he has had chicken in the past. Long ago they His family had a arm and this is what they fed the chickens I said there might of been anything else then.

Scratch doesn't have enough protein and many of the vitamins and minerals hens need for laying and even for good health. A little supplemental scratch is okay as a snack now and then, but they need layer feed for most of what they eat.

As far as I am aware the main things missing from scratch are protein and calcium, both of which are crucial for egg laying. A rooster could probably live on scratch, if not at optimum health, but laying hens will suffer.

Scratch grain is good for a snack but not the best for an all time feed for multiple reasons, including:
1. It's harder for the birds to digest.
2. The excess amount of corn in scratch causes brassiness or yellowing in feathers.
3. Excess corn in the digestive system of poultry causes a thermic reaction which can overheat your birds in the summer.
4. There is not enough nutrition to properly provide for a laying flock (less calcium, niacin, protein, etc.).

I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom