Scratch feed?

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I feed my girls laying mash and I cook eggs and have plates of egg shells for them at all times. I bought some food called Scratch feed its got like 3 different seeds in it 1 is corn 1 is sunflowers and the other not sure little tiny round brown seed. What I am wondering my feed store says its good for them for laying but I thought scratch feed was just like a snack? Someone fill me in on scratch food.

While my birds would exist quite well on a steady diet of layer I like to toss a scoop or two into the run to allow the birds to "scratch". I use it as a daily treat that I think helps give them something to do beside pick on each other.

I give a handful or two to mine big guys to give them something to do. In the winter they get it more regularly to help provide heat/energy.

FYI, the little "seeds" are probably wheat.

Ok thanks for all the advice. I was giving them a mixed grain diet but wanted to try the scratch. I guess it would be the same...But what I use to feed them had about 5 different grains in them but when I went to my feed store they was out so I tried the scratch so good to know that it is good for them.

Scratch IS a snack, or a treat. It does not have the nutrition they need to be their regular feed.

I do give my chickens a little bit of scratch.. however, I plant Sunflowers all around thier coop and run and the sunflower seeds fall in, and when i let them out for a walk they LOVE eating them!

do you guys recommend keeping the waterer and feeder hanging in the coop or make an awning on the outside of the coop in the run out of the weather.

Back
Top Bottom