Scratch feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Teresaann24, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I feed my girls laying mash and I cook eggs and have plates of egg shells for them at all times. I bought some food called Scratch feed its got like 3 different seeds in it 1 is corn 1 is sunflowers and the other not sure little tiny round brown seed. What I am wondering my feed store says its good for them for laying but I thought scratch feed was just like a snack? Someone fill me in on scratch food.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    While my birds would exist quite well on a steady diet of layer I like to toss a scoop or two into the run to allow the birds to "scratch". I use it as a daily treat that I think helps give them something to do beside pick on each other.

3. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I use scratch to entice them back into the run after free ranging. My chickens and guineas are nuts for it.

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I give a handful or two to mine big guys to give them something to do. In the winter they get it more regularly to help provide heat/energy.

FYI, the little "seeds" are probably wheat.

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Ok thanks for all the advice. I was giving them a mixed grain diet but wanted to try the scratch. I guess it would be the same...But what I use to feed them had about 5 different grains in them but when I went to my feed store they was out so I tried the scratch so good to know that it is good for them.

6. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Sunflower seeds are a lot better for them then scratch. I never give my chickens scratch in the spring or summer.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Scratch IS a snack, or a treat. It does not have the nutrition they need to be their regular feed.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So it should only be a snack? Not a good source for their diets?

9. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    I do give my chickens a little bit of scratch.. however, I plant Sunflowers all around thier coop and run and the sunflower seeds fall in, and when i let them out for a walk they LOVE eating them!

10. 77ranger

77ranger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    hiram ga
    do you guys recommend keeping the waterer and feeder hanging in the coop or make an awning on the outside of the coop in the run out of the weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by