Scratch feed?

Scratch feed seems to differ from one local to another. In fact, it seems to differ from store to store. The scratch my cousin buys in Texas is almost all cracked corn and milo.

I prefer to feed my hens scratch that also has wheat and sun flower seeds. I have even seen some with millet mixed in.

Rufus

Quote:
I have an outside waterer which is filled each day with fresh water for my birds, so they always have water inside and out of the coop. Their feeder is kept inside the coop, however, their treats are given to them outside in their run as long as the weather permits.

My silkie roo, Mr. Jingles would be insulted if I put his oats anywhere but in a pile directly on the ground of his run. He jumps right in the middle of them and slings 'em everywhere before eating them. It's a daily ritual!!
wink.png

My chickens also get scratch for a treat. The orpingtons love it... my silkie pair, however, doesn't seem to care for it very much.

I give my girls bird seed and rolled oats as scratch in addition to their normal feed. The bird seed has a variety of seeds in it. I believe that the variety in their diet keeps them healthy.

I offer scratch feed in addition to laying mash to give them some variety, something to do. I mix my own using cracked corn, sunflower seeds and oats or barley. I keep all feed in the coop to keep birds out of it.

Egg shells are a free source of calcium. You're supposed to bake them first (I don't recall the amount of time or temp you're supposed to do - like 250 degrees for 20 minutes - to kill any germs) and crumble them up so they don't recognize that they are egg shells. My hens prefer egg shells to oyster shells.

I hard boil my eggs before offering them to my chickens my kids love hair boiled eggs so nothing goes to waste. If we make eggs for breakfest I do the same I boil the egg shells after we have cracked the eggs for breakfest.

Thanks everyone for the advice They do however love the scratch feed I bought. So I guess that is a good thing just wanted to info about it and everyone has been so helpfull in offering their own views on scratch!

Back
Top Bottom