Scratch Grain- Why it's useful in flock management and nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Well all the fields around here are corn/beans/corn/beans, I suppose that's good for the soil?? The crap wouldn't even grow without the chemical fertilizer & weed killer. Lots of noxious weeds like thistle & Palonia have a great time growing though. Round up just makes MORE weeds.

Quote:
Yet another educated opinion on what farmers do in their fields.

You obviously don't understand how glyphosate works in a cropping system, nor what it really takes to grow a crop of corn or soybeans.

We have corn we raised this year that did not receive any glysphosate and no commercial fertilizer, it yielded almost 200 bpa. That kind of blows away your theory.

Talking about genetically modified crops always ends up in argument.
Rightly or wrongly, personal choice has been removed.
Over time it may become clear that these foods are bad for human health, but by then it may be too late.
Let us exercise choice, that's all I want.
Let those who believe in the stuff eat it.
Simply let the rest of us avoid laboratory-created foods by good labeling.

smile.png

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, choice is the way to go, I for 1 don't want to eat it buy it or grow it and would like to know it when I see it so labeling is the only way.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Yet another educated opinion on what farmers do in their fields.

You obviously don't understand how glyphosate works in a cropping system, nor what it really takes to grow a crop of corn or soybeans.

We have corn we raised this year that did not receive any glysphosate and no commercial fertilizer, it yielded almost 200 bpa. That kind of blows away your theory.

You assume way too much. 28 years of watching what goes on next to me, partially on my land. Growing my own grains & crops. You're right I have no clue. I grow several acres of crops with no chemical pesticide or fertilizer. I watch the weeds grow in the farm field and infiltrate my fields. Only mega farmers growing thousands of acres know how to farm. Label GMO foods & I'll be happy as a lark.​

I read through the first 7 pages and have decided to just reply. My chickens are free range and get a mix of organic corn, oats, millet, flax, fishmeal, peas and brewers yeast. In the winter I put hay down for them to pick through. I don't buy a layer ration anymore.

I won't even get started on GMOs and sythetic fertilizers and pesticides. If we think this is what it takes to support the exploding human population we may be in for a surprise!

Last edited:
I really try not to get involved with arguments about this kind of stuff....because it it is rare that I see an actual adult, thoughtful discussion about it....usually it devolves quickly into hyperbole and hysteria...

You want to starve all of the poor people...

You want to cause everyone to have cancer...

You want to kill fluffy kittens

You want to torture small bunnies..

I have enough stress in my life and don't have the energy to deal with stuff like that here.

And I am not an expert on it by any stretch of the imagination...but I seem to recall that part of the problem is that the seeds won't reproduce naturally...so if they start to really on gmo seeds they aren't self sustaining and have to really on the ability to get the seeds next year...? And if the stars don't align correctly and for some financial/political/natural disaster related reason they can't get new seeds they will starve anyway??? Please, please do correct me if I am wrong..

cottagechick,

In some ways you are very correct, very correct.

Many of do not consider how vulnerable the supply of high productivity seed stock. People in marginal / economically strapped parts of world realize such seeds can be prohibitively expensive and they can not purchase them when demand is high or other components of production cost are high. I can imagine many things associated with a volatile world seen or natural disaster that could interupt the availabilty of such seeds.

That is the problem, when we are lied to enough we do not know who to believe, I sure don't know who to believe. Our president is an expert at it.
Quote:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom