scratch grain with bugs? Powder?

specklesmom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Texas
I'm not sure if the scratch grain we just bought has a problem and should be returned. I haven't noticed a problem with scratch we've bought in the past but I didn't really examine it carefully. We store feed on our covered back porch in metal garbage cans and keep the lids on to discourage rats, etc.
DSC_0736.JPG
DSC_0735.JPG
I had one bag that got weevils after several weeks but the new bag I just bought seems to have a few bugs already. Plus it just seems excessively powdery like the grains are possibly old? My husband says he thinks it smells moldy, althought I didn't notice that. I don't want to feed the chickens anything that could cause problems. I'm currently treating our older flock of four Barred Rock hens with miconazole for fungus on their combs. The cream seems to be working well after only a couple of days but I certainly don't want to give them something that might cause a problem. I have no idea how they got fungus on their combs. It is dry as a bone here and there is nothing they could have been around that would be moldy....Should I return the feed?

I'm not sure if the scratch grain we just bought has a problem and should be returned. I haven't noticed a problem with scratch we've bought in the past but I didn't really examine it carefully. We store feed on our covered back porch in metal garbage cans and keep the lids on to discourage rats, etc.View attachment 2383219View attachment 2383221 I had one bag that got weevils after several weeks but the new bag I just bought seems to have a few bugs already. Plus it just seems excessively powdery like the grains are possibly old? My husband says he thinks it smells moldy, althought I didn't notice that. I don't want to feed the chickens anything that could cause problems. I'm currently treating our older flock of four Barred Rock hens with miconazole for fungus on their combs. The cream seems to be working well after only a couple of days but I certainly don't want to give them something that might cause a problem. I have no idea how they got fungus on their combs. It is dry as a bone here and there is nothing they could have been around that would be moldy....Should I return the feed?
It’s just older and dusty, lesser quality. It’ll be fine to give them but I wouldn’t buy that particular brand from the same place again.

Also does the ingredients list that they added some kind of protien powder? Some scratch brands add fish meal etc to get it to a certain protein percentage. If they don't list an added powder, then as others have said it is just a subpar brand.

The brand is Purina..."Premium Poultry Grains", "High Quality North American Mixed Grains". No added powder or meal is shown on the list of ingredients. Crude protein (Min) is 8.00%.
The tag also says :Do not feed moldy or insect-infested feed to animals as it may cause illness, performance loss or death." Based on the bugs I guess I should take it back. It was less than $7.00 so I may just see if the maise will sprout and feed that to the girls. I've been wanting to start raising meal worms so maybe this would be good for worms.........

The brand is Purina..."Premium Poultry Grains", "High Quality North American Mixed Grains". No added powder or meal is shown on the list of ingredients. Crude protein (Min) is 8.00%.
The tag also says :Do not feed moldy or insect-infested feed to animals as it may cause illness, performance loss or death." Based on the bugs I guess I should take it back. It was less than $7.00 so I may just see if the maise will sprout and feed that to the girls. I've been wanting to start raising meal worms so maybe this would be good for worms.........
Have you ever used Purina scratch before? I’ve never seen a bag that wasn’t dusty like that. I don’t buy it because of that and the fact that its mostly cracked corn and a waste of money. I’m guessing it was smaller than a 50lb bag?

Our last sack was from Tractor Supply....I think Dumor 5 grain scratch. It looked better but still had lots of weevils by the time we finished the bag.
I’ve had weevils in all of them regardless of brand at some point or another. It honestly won’t hurt them but it’s kind of annoying to see them. Chickens eat the bugs right along with the scratch.

Our last sack was from Tractor Supply....I think Dumor 5 grain scratch. It looked better but still had lots of weevils by the time we finished the bag.

I dont often recommend DE for any reason. But when it comes to grain, which will be stored dry, a cup of DE per 40-50lbs of feed keeps the weevils and other insects out. So long as you keep the grain dry it should last a long time that way.

Back
Top Bottom