Scratch & Peck layer pellets?

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
7 Years
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Just noticed that Scratch & Peck has layer pellets now... has anyone here tried it (or even seen it?) https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/organic-layer-pellets-grub-protein/ Grub protein instead of fish, which is what they use in their whole grain feeds. Though no way I'd pay the marked up price to have it shipped... :p

I'm currently feeding Payback layer pellets which my chickens like just fine, but it's harder to source as not many local feed stores carry the brand, whereas a lot more stores here (even pet stores) carry S&P since it's manufactured in state.

Just noticed that Scratch & Peck has layer pellets now... has anyone here tried it (or even seen it?) https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/organic-layer-pellets-grub-protein/ Grub protein instead of fish, which is what they use in their whole grain feeds. Though no way I'd pay the marked up price to have it shipped... :p

I'm currently feeding Payback layer pellets which my chickens like just fine, but it's harder to source as not many local feed stores carry the brand, whereas a lot more stores here (even pet stores) carry S&P since it's manufactured in state.
I just ordered the S&P Layer Pellets to try with my flock and it will be here Sunday. They are on the S&P regular layer grain feed, which they like, but it doesn't seem to work well in our gravity feeders with a large amount of dust that acaccumulates at the bottom. I'm also concerned a few of my girls pick and choose through the grains. Fingers crossed they like the pellets!

I'm just saw this last week and I am curious about it too. I used the S&P whole grain layer feed until last fall when I had pullets and switched to Modesto Milling grower crumbles. The S&P whole grain layer feed works great when fermented because the fines stuck to the grains, but I never had much success when I fed it dry.

Please post an update on how it goes!

Sadly, my girls would not eat the pellets I ordered. I tried mixing with the regular S & P grain and then tried it on it's own and they don't touch it. I'm wondering if this could be the case though with transitioning to any pellet feed if a flock has always had grain? Or maybe my girls are just picky...

Sadly, my girls would not eat the pellets I ordered. I tried mixing with the regular S & P grain and then tried it on it's own and they don't touch it. I'm wondering if this could be the case though with transitioning to any pellet feed if a flock has always had grain? Or maybe my girls are just picky...

Did you try adding some water to the pellets?

They would much rather pick through the whole grains than eat pellets, so a transition period is normal. You could definitely moisten the pellets as @linguini said and feed it in an old dog bowl for a few days, they tend to really like that. Eventually they will eat it.

It's also possible they are eating it, but because pellets have so much less waste than whole grain it's not as noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom