Scratch & Peck

Kalthia

Songster
14 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Virginia
So - newbie here...
My chicks appear to be doing great with a few pasty butt issues. I have that handled.
My question is the birds are scratching and pecking the floor a lot ..but there isn't anything there except some pine bedding and a little pee pad.
Should I be putting something down for them to find? I am only giving them chick feed right now ..

Thanks!
Betty

So - newbie here...
My chicks appear to be doing great with a few pasty butt issues. I have that handled.
My question is the birds are scratching and pecking the floor a lot ..but there isn't anything there except some pine bedding and a little pee pad.
Should I be putting something down for them to find? I am only giving them chick feed right now ..

Thanks!
Betty
it is super normal for them to be pecking the floor alot! Its really good for them if you sprinkled some oats, fruits, bugs, or egg, in there for them, for a tasty snack and some enrichment (in moderation of course)!

it is super normal for them to be pecking the floor alot! Its really good for them if you sprinkled some oats, fruits, bugs, or egg, in there for them, for a tasty snack and some enrichment (in moderation of course)!
Is it too early (they just arrived on Thursday - born Sunday or Monday last week)?

I give them soil, and clumps of sod from outside. It helps them to develop immunity to coccidia.
If they are eating anything other than chick feed, you need to give them chick grit, to help digest it.
Is this okay for week old chicks?

Is this okay for week old chicks?
The earlier the better!

sod.jpg

Like SueT said, dirt is perfect for them! If you give them a box of soft, ever so slightly moist dirt, you will witness what may be the cutest thing you ever saw - baby chicks dust bathing. Mine started at around 5-6 days old. Its the one thing I most look forward to when I have babies.

We have had Ian rain for the last 2 days solid - I will have to wait until the water drains away ...

Back
Top Bottom