8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Ok, what I thought I knew about scratch was this:
1. It is mostly grains.
2. It is a treat.
3. It is cheaper than feed.
4. It should be fed in moderation.

When I went to buy some more chicken feed the farm store lady told me that she feeds 1 part scratch to two parts feed. She said that it gives them fiber to "keep them regular." And that you must feed it in addition to gravel and feed. I don't THINK this is true...but is she right? What is the function of scratch?

Last edited:
i feed at 2 feed `1 scratch grains ,not just corn, they pick and choose what they want to eat when they want to eat it.. I have noticed weight gain ( which is good) and they are eating more of the grains now that we are getting cooler nights.. which I also expected. I have very healthy happy birds and it helps stretch my feed bill.. that is a big help. I know alot of people will say different so this is just what I do an what I have found works for me and my girls..

good luck )O(
Pink

Around here scratch is just as expensive as layer feed, so it wouldn't help stretch their feed at all. I do buy cracked corn and give them a little every couple of days or so. They get some sort of treat every day, but it varies from one day ot the next.

Since days are getting shorter and they are molting, I have been giving them more high energy food, like corn, fat, meat, dry cat food and such along with their hard boiled eggs, flax, eggs shells, comfrey and goat milk. The production is way down due to the lack of light, so I am not worried about pushing for eggs right now. I am letting them get through their molt before I try to get their production back up. I am going ot give them a rest for a couple of months and then start the lights up in December or January.

Back
Top Bottom