Scratch

Yikes! I will take away the scratch block thing my hubby found at TSC and brought home all proud about how much the hens would love him for the treat! They do love it but with the local temps in the 90's lately, I don't want them to suffer by eating corn. I will go back to the raw oats that they also love and they do get fresh leafy greens and all the cherry tomatoes they can sneak off my vine when it grows too close to the fence!!! They love to eat garden plants for sure!
Why are they going to suffer by eating corn?
My birds get corn products year round even when it was 100+ here.

Chris

I have bought corn on the cob at the grocery store and peeled it and given it raw to my chickens and they love it! They also love tomatoes, watermelon, and white bread! They dont like lettuce, cellery or carrots so far.

So exactly what is "Scratch" ? It seems based on this thread that it is a prepared (or you can make your own) chicken snack which is composed of; three grains and a protein. But this is NOT a meal, is that correct? The grains can be oats, wheat, corn (hot, for the question is moot), oats, and the protein can be eggs for those who feed their chickens eggs. If you do not feed your chickens egg what protein do you mix. I thought birds were lactose intolerant. Sounds kind of like a meal. So what is scratch?

So exactly what is "Scratch" ? It seems based on this thread that it is a prepared (or you can make your own) chicken snack which is composed of; three grains and a protein. But this is NOT a meal, is that correct? The grains can be oats, wheat, corn (hot, for the question is moot), oats, and the protein can be eggs for those who feed their chickens eggs. If you do not feed your chickens egg what protein do you mix. I thought birds were lactose intolerant. Sounds kind of like a meal. So what is scratch?
Scratch can be a single *whole grain or any mixture of *whole/cracked grains that is pitched on the ground to encourage scratching of the ground and add extra energy to the birds diet. Scratch is not meant to be a sole feed but supplement to the birds regular poultry feed.

Not all scratch feed/mixes are created equal the average bagged scratch has about 8 +/- percent protein but since a scratch can be any mix of grains you can use more complex mixes like a all grain pigeon feed mix that can come with or with out corn, with small yellow corn or pop corn, they contain a good number of grains and can have a protein amount up 21 +/- percent.

Eggs are never used as a protein type in scratch mix.
Chicken are to a point lactose intolerant, but since grains and eggs for all that matters does not contain lactose chicken have no problem them.

*Whole Grains --
For this discussion and to a point with in the "livestock world" the term whole mean whole as in not ground, cracked, hammered, etc.
Also for this discussion and to a point with in the "livestock world" the term grain/s is referring to grains, seeds, legumes etc.

ETA ---
Meal,,, when referring to livestock, poultry, etc. refers to a ground product as in corn meal, soy bean meal, peanut meal etc.
Scratch is never a meal..
Mash,,, when referring to livestock, poultry, etc. refers to a ground feed.

Last edited:
Thank you got your detailed reply chris09, (the lactose was in ref to talk on thread about yogurt). I got a bag of "scratch" at the feed store - yep that's what it is. Looks good, happy hens! Also got something called "grit" as I bought something called BOSS - WOWZA, those birds like those rocks! Ha!

Back
Top Bottom