Scratch

Quote:
I could see if you were taking fresh uncooked eggs from their coop and immediately feeding them to your chickens, they might start breaking and eating their own eggs, but hard boiled eggs all mashed up in a bowl...chickens are smart, but I doubt they'd see the connection....No egg breakers in my flock anyway...

Chicks are four weeks old. Can I give them things besides yogurt like bread without using grit. They are gong to stay on shavings and locked in the brooder for awhile longer, so they have no access to dirt or rocks.

What is safe to treat with now without using grit? If I need to add grit, can I just start treating away with an assortment of goodies?

Thanks so very much to all that reply.

nymph&nimor :

so i understand that feeding corn might not be good for your chickens when it is hot out, but does it have any other side effects?

This is simply NOT true!!!!!

Corn is a highly digestible source of simple carbohydrates for monogastrics. It does NOT produce extra heat during metabolism like is noted when feeding high fiber ingredients that result in fermentation in the hind gut.

Corn is noted as a "hot feed" in the cattle industry since it is so easily digestible and can lead to metabolic disorders such as founder and ruminal acidosis.

Jim​

Lazy J is right- it's digestion, not corn, that produces heat. That's why in the dead of winter I give my horse more hay to keep his gut working and producing heat.
You can't change people minds though, so by calling it a hot feed I hope it helps to limit the amount that is fed to their chickens.
I would prefer to call corn "candy" and fed it to my chickens with that in mind.
Twinkey30- you won't kill your chickens- if you live in a hot climate then fresh fruits and vegies should be cheap. They love apples, watermelon, squash, tomatoes etc. . I expanded my garden to provide my chickens with natural goodies, just treat the scratch as candy and you are the parent doling it out.

Sometimes I think we tend to overthink things!

It's amazing how chickens have survived this long!
cool.png

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

nymph&nimor :

so i understand that feeding corn might not be good for your chickens when it is hot out, but does it have any other side effects?

This is simply NOT true!!!!!

Corn is a highly digestible source of simple carbohydrates for monogastrics. It does NOT produce extra heat during metabolism like is noted when feeding high fiber ingredients that result in fermentation in the hind gut.

Corn is noted as a "hot feed" in the cattle industry since it is so easily digestible and can lead to metabolic disorders such as founder and ruminal acidosis.

Jim​

http://www.epa.gov/agriculture/ag101/printpoultry.html
"....Poultry in the U.S. are fed diets which are primarily ground corn to supply heat and energy and soybean meal to provide protein...."

http://proquest.umi.com/pqdlink?did...QT=309&VName=PQD&TS=1224155972&clientId=79356
(PhD thesis > Comparison of different methods of determining available energy in corn lines for swine and poultry
(small excerpt pg 16/17):
"... Corn grain is a high-energy feedstuff due to containing readily available carbohydrates (sugars and starches) and oil for animals.... the carbohydrates in corn grain, with the exception of the hulls, are primary starch. Starch accounts for about 72% of the corn kernel... the total protein of corn is deficient...for monogastric animal species and requires supplementation.... "

http://www.hyline.com/userdocs/library/0_Heat Stress.pdf
(Hyline)Heat Stress in Commercial Layers and Breeders
"Thermoregulation of the Hen
Chickens, unlike most other animals, do not
possess sweat glands to aid in heat loss....As the environmental temperature approaches the body temperature of the bird, 41ºC (106ºF), the efficiency of these heat loss mechanisms diminish. At this point the evaporation of water from the respiratory tract becomes the major heat loss mechanism of the bird. The evaporation of one gram of water dissipates 540 calories of maintenance energy. .....
.... Effects of Heat Stress
One of the primary effects of high environmental temperature on a flock is reduced feed intake. A reduction in appetite is the birds’ effort toreduce energy intake in response to the increase in the energy in the environment, thereby reducing the energy needed from the feed.....
Nutritional Management of the Heat Stressed
Flock
Heat-stressed flocks usually experience a
loss in appetite. This decreased feed intake can be
compensated by formulating a more concentrated
feed. The actual energy requirement of the bird is reduced at high environmental temperatures
repeated from above:
A reduction in appetite is the birds’ effort toreduce energy intake in response to the increase in the energy in the environment, thereby reducing the energy needed from the feed..."
"....Poultry in the U.S. are fed diets which are primarily ground corn to supply heat and energy... [/b]

The bird's body temperature increases after feed ingestion due to the thermogenic processes of digestion and metabolism...adding extra corn (energy) as scratch to the diet during periods of heat stress WILL increase the heat load the bird has to dissipate and therefore is detrimental in times of heat stress .​

Last edited:
So exactly what is "Scratch" ? It seems based on this thread that it is a prepared (or you can make your own) chicken snack which is composed of; three grains and a protein. But this is NOT a meal, is that correct? The grains can be oats, wheat, corn (hot, for the question is moot), oats, and the protein can be eggs for those who feed their chickens eggs. If you do not feed your chickens egg what protein do you mix. I thought birds were lactose intolerant. Sounds kind of like a meal. So what is scratch?
Scratch can be a single *whole grain or any mixture of *whole/cracked grains that is pitched on the ground to encourage scratching of the ground and add extra energy to the birds diet. Scratch is not meant to be a sole feed but supplement to the birds regular poultry feed.

Not all scratch feed/mixes are created equal the average bagged scratch has about 8 +/- percent protein but since a scratch can be any mix of grains you can use more complex mixes like a all grain pigeon feed mix that can come with or with out corn, with small yellow corn or pop corn, they contain a good number of grains and can have a protein amount up 21 +/- percent.

Eggs are never used as a protein type in scratch mix.
Chicken are to a point lactose intolerant, but since grains and eggs for all that matters does not contain lactose chicken have no problem them.

*Whole Grains --
For this discussion and to a point with in the "livestock world" the term whole mean whole as in not ground, cracked, hammered, etc.
Also for this discussion and to a point with in the "livestock world" the term grain/s is referring to grains, seeds, legumes etc.

ETA ---
Meal,,, when referring to livestock, poultry, etc. refers to a ground product as in corn meal, soy bean meal, peanut meal etc.
Scratch is never a meal..
Mash,,, when referring to livestock, poultry, etc. refers to a ground feed.

Last edited:
Hi there, scratch is just for treats & not good to give at all during the heat. It's good on cold days.
Since your babies are so young, why not get them some mealworms or crickets?? Crushed up boiled egg is good for them too.
Make sure if you give them anything other than their chic starter, they will need grit. You can buy it at a feed store or playsand will do to.
Miriam

I had a lady who raised chickens all her life tell me no eggs. She said in some birds it can encourage them to eat their own eggs. I am not saying it is true but i decided to not chance it. I just thought i would share that.

Back
Top Bottom