Scratch

Jim & Diana, Please take all my math and biology veterinary assistant classes for me...???
wink.png

Yikes! I sure am glad that where I live, during the winter it's in the low 30's, sometimes 20's at night, and during the summer it is usually in the 40's at night, and during the day most of the time it is in the high 50's and 60's, with occasional heat waves. Like today it is 93*, ugh. Anyway, I do not need to worry about any of that heat or cold stress!!

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Yes they do, but there is typically a concomitant increase in feed intake unless you are in extreme conditions.

Jim

Jim, this is my point exactly... if you read the basic articles (usually written for commercial producers with a commercial or semi-cmmercial setup which your average backyard chicken keeper does not have > i.e. temperature control) then for the purposes of the average member of this board (the ones faced with stress conditions i.e. extremes of cold/heat and unable to meet stabilization of temps inhouse/coop) the effects and consequences of environmental stress (which includes sudden drops/swings in temperature) becomes of paramount importance especially when many are not willing to "accept" what for a (semi)commercial setup is an "acceptable " loss when it can, in principle, be prevented (preventive measures such as supplementation or change in feeding management). Despite the superficial increase in feed during cold weather (which the bird primarily uses not for its health but to keep warm) its immune competance is lowered and birds become more susceptible to respiratory illness in the cold periods... an ill bird (for whatever reason) will decrease/stop eating and drinking.

ETA: Jim that PhD thesis (a small portion is free to view without puchase) has some recent info (review of studies) overturning some previous assumptions on how corn is metabolized etc.​

Last edited:
I have fed my hens cracked corn from the they layed their first egg as their main diet. They range around the yard a few days a week, eat corn as their main diet and get scraps when I have them. They've been healthy, egg laying hens all along. I've not seen any problems over the last year or so. My inlaws have had chickens for years, have done the same and have had no problems either. We're in Missouri with hot humid summers and somewhat cold winters.

Quote:
I suggest you do some more research here on BYC. The subject of corn and heat is very controversial. Mac in Abeline (I think that's who it is) has some very information in his posts.

I couldn't find Mac, maybe he is no longer with BYC. Sorry.

And, Welcome to BYC.

Last edited:
Can you please tell me what is scratch. I give my chickens left over food such as rice, bread, spaghetti, eggs. Can it be harmfull to them?

hi i am a newbie two have had my chickens now for 2months and 1 week and my Red Hampshire started to lay last week i have had 3 eggs from her woopee.

anyway sorry to digress. Scratch for chickens is corn mix. From what i have read it is advisable to feed this last thing so the birds can be warm through the night. So I suppose if corn makes heat you can give a little more in the winter to warm them up, but less in the summer. I could be totally wrong here, but this is what it states in my chook books....

Treats should be given sparingly. Rice is high in carbs so should be used sparingly, pasta they love but it has no real nutritional value but it wont harm them if given sparingly.

I was told by my chicken expert who has been dealing with them for years chickens will basically eat all day if you let them lol.

I make my scratch with cracked corn, sunflower, and dried insects, (mixture with mealworm and maggots and stuff they love it).

Scratch is better on the ground if you keep your birds in as they can SCRATCH for it which is what chickens love to do and helps them from getting bored. I free range my girls in the afternoon from 2pm until they take themselves to bed at 4.30pm when it goes dark. Saves me having to TELL THEM TO GO TO BED LOL.....

I have a largish mound of dirt under my Pear trees which is now full of leaves, so i have dug it over so the birds can scratch easier and I throw their treat corn scratch around this for them so it keeps it a bit contained and they do less damage on my plants. They are so funny. My Red Hampshire is convinced i am her cockerel and will now follow me around my garden expecting me to pick up stones so she can find tasty insect morsels lol, she even lets me pick her up now.

When they have finally retreated to their house i tuck them in safely for the night and make sure they have fresh water ready for when my hubby lets them out at first light and they also have their breakfast ready for them otherwise its a chorus of WHERES OUR BREAKFAST come on get a move on lol. Of course in the UK we have put our clock back by 1 hour so the poor girls are kept in longer....

I bought a brilliant book called Chickens for Dummies its very informative and easy to understand.

Oh I do give table scraps but sparingly and only as a treat. Its very important too GREENS, they need greens and if they are not free range its important you give them greens. Before I had their flight feathers clipped they were kept in their large run, and I would get grass for them, and stinging nettles to eat, parsley, and spinach, and I tied up a cabbage which they would peck at. They love GRASS and it is free. Its something they eat when they free range.

OH and by the way the chickens will eat anything lol. The funniest thing i have seen and wish i had a video was my jack russell Lucy buried half of a sausage in our garden and my Red Hampshire found it and there was a RUGBY scrum by the other 3 birds chasing her trying to get it off her lol, it was hysterically funny, the winner was my big Muran Pepper who rugby tackled off Matilda (my Red Hempshire), and ran like the wind was under her tail and hid behind the chicken coop to eat it lol. Poor Lucy she did go out in the morning looking for her sausage but it was no where to be found lol.

When i first got my 4 birds I was anxious and worried that I might harm them but they are tough and i soon started to relax. I think as long as they have a clean house everyday, fresh water, and a good mix of food they are pretty hardy. (Oh by the way my expert told me to use Apple Cider vinegar in their water once a month this keeps them healthy and actually eliminates worms).

Oops sorry i did go on a bit didnt I lol.

Enjoy your chickens they are so funny and when you get your first egg its the best feeling ever, and boy when you eat an egg off your chicken it tastes delicious and rich and has just the best flavour.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I actually buy what they call "mixed fowl" it has crushed maize, corn as well as sunflower seeds. I also put a little apple cider vinager in their water. Fortunately my chickens are very healthy so far. Well I hope so, it looks like it anyway. If they do have worms how will one know? Could their eggs be infected by worms? The one thing I really don't like about them is that they eat frogs. I do my best to have frogs in my natural ponds but I found them catching a frog once. That was the catch of the day and also the rugby match of the year.
lol.png
All of the best with your family:)

Back
Top Bottom