Scratch

Quote:
Right around $17.00 a 50 lb. bag

Chris

Thanks. Looking at the ingredients, it seems to me that you could end up with a better feed than the usual bagged stuff for a little less money doing it your way. Or a lot less, depending on how pricey the grain is.
wink.png

I can mix a good 20% protein starter for $9.50, a 17% grower for $8.60, and a 18% layer for $8.87.
All mixes contain animal protein and is priced per 50 pound bag.

Chris

Last edited:
Wow, I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thread to see if my question has been brought up yet. I will post the question and then go through the pages and see what I find over the next few days.

I have two laying hens (2yrs old) and 4 pullets around 2 months old. I have them free range. Right now I am feeding them "generic" feed but have found that I should maybe be giving the hens a layer feed and still feeding the pullets a starter feed.

Can I mix the feed, or should I put it in separate feeders? I usually just put the feed down so they can scratch for it, I haven't used any feeders yet (These are my first chickens, and I've only had them for about a month). I just read in this forum that there's a difference between feed and scratch, which is good to know. (I don't have any scratch, I give them tasty treats, apple cores, mango peels, crushed egg shells, lettuce, tomatoes, stale bread, etc). If I put the layer and starter in separate feeders, will they know which ones they are supposed to eat from? That does sound like a silly question, but I don't know how smart these cuties are really.

Thanks for your help, and thank you for this thread!

When you have a mix of ages like that, the best thing to do is just feed them all the starter but get some crushed oyster shell and put it in a container off to the side. The laying hens will get their calcium from this and the others won't touch it.

I have to say that I'm confused..I have only 4 chicks. They will be around 6 weeks on the 4-18-12.. The place I purchased them sold me in a brown bag c/s..I was told that's all I need to feed them till they reach 18 to 20 weeks..This also had what was needed for a pullet in it..At 18 to 20 weeks I would change to a layer pellets..I guess I'm asking if this all right or should I make changes..Thank you for all help..Mid

Yes, use the chick starter until about 18 weeks. The layer feed has more calcium than they need right now, for their egg shell production.

Chris;

I cant remember the last time we talked you may have said..... Are you still on whole grains or did you get an extruder??
Basically a "whole Grain" I've change the mix around a little and I might stay with this mix awhile.
Right know I'm feeding,

Chicks up to 6 weeks of age -- Turkey Starter (30%),
Growing Birds from 6 weeks of age to Laying -- 50.5% Five Grain Scratch 40.5% Turkey Starter (it's about a 16% feed)
Laying Hens -- 50% Five Grain Scratch, 40% Turkey Starter and 10% Alfalfa Meal (it's about a 16% feed)
Breeders -- 50.5% Turkey Starter, 30.5% Five Grain Scratch and 10% Alfalfa Meal (it's about a 19% feed)

Layers and Breeders have a mixture of Calcium Carbonate and Oyster Shells available to them.
Breeders get there feed topped with a little fish oil.

Chris

Good stuff guys! Just picked up some scratch today...our ladies are lucky 13 weeks old today...they LOVE it! Also...switced over to a layer feed...Nutrena Nature Wise.

Yikes! I will take away the scratch block thing my hubby found at TSC and brought home all proud about how much the hens would love him for the treat! They do love it but with the local temps in the 90's lately, I don't want them to suffer by eating corn. I will go back to the raw oats that they also love and they do get fresh leafy greens and all the cherry tomatoes they can sneak off my vine when it grows too close to the fence!!! They love to eat garden plants for sure!

Back
Top Bottom