Scratchinest things!

MontanaMomma

Songster
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
My 1 1/2 month old 5 urban Leghorn chics scratch with wild abandon. I use pine shavings in their coop, so the shavings get everywhere- on the ckicks, on wall, on top of the light!, in the water, the food etc. Sometimes I can't even find their feeder because it is buried in the shavings! These little ladies have some high kickers. Does anyone have any suggestions about feeders and waterers that prevent things flying into the water or feed? The best I can do so far is to take one gallon plastic jars with lids and cut squares in them about 3-4 inches off the ground. Then I put the jars up on an overturned tray that is about 3 inches deep. This helps tons, but the chicks can't get their heads in there real deep so I have to be sure to keep the water level up. Any ideas?? thanks!

I put the waterer up 2 inches on top of 2 - 2 1/2 lb. weights (it just happened to fit perfectly), and DBF cut a 2x4 and used a zip tie to fasten the trough feeder to the top of it. Used a couple of shims underneath to make sure noone kicks it over. Observe and make sure they can all access food and water at the new height. When I first put the water up on two weights, I had to adjust it back to one, because my blue wyandotte couldn't figure it out. My ladies are scratchers too, and love to make pine shaving tea.

Back
Top Bottom