Screaming chicken in nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosemary10, Mar 28, 2018.

1. rosemary10

rosemary10 Chirping

Aug 24, 2017
    Hey there everyone!
    So I have this buff Orpington who used to be my friendliest girl. And she still is, don't get me wrong, but lately when she's in the nesting box she hates it when I'm around and whenever I move the curtain she freaks out, gets all puffy, and then makes a horrible screaming sound!!! At first it kinda scared me but she wasn't egg bound because she passed the egg just fine. Then she did it again the next day. I thought she might be going broody but it's been a week and the only time she's in the box is when she lays her egg. Anyone have any input?

2. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Some don't like to be disturbed when laying. I have a couple of girls who will tell me off for peeking! One will kick up an awful stink if anyone disturbs her! :lol:

3. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    She's a screamer. LOL I have a girl that does that for other hens but not me. A girl that does it for me and other hens too. And a girl that does that only for me and viciously tries to peck me!
    Some hens just want their privacy. It can definatly be a sign of broodiness but not always.

N Sully, rosemary10 and JaeG like this.
  4. rosemary10

rosemary10 Chirping

Aug 24, 2017
    I still have yet to get a broody hen! I was kinda hoping she was gonna go broody...

JaeG likes this.
  5. mill-j

mill-j Songster

Aug 22, 2017
    This is completely normal for hens to act mean while in the nest. And yet they seldom go broody in today's world due to some people(hatcherys) think this is undesirable behaviour and selectively breed to avoid it. I of course try to breed vice-versa :)

Molpet, N Sully, rosemary10 and 2 others like this.
  6. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    I'm with you on that one. One thing I am going to try to bring back to my flock genetics.

N Sully, rosemary10, JaeG and 2 others like this.
  7. Peeps61

Peeps61 Songster

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    My Orphingtons don't like to be bothered when laying. I also have one that is broody. I have several different breeds that will screech if I come around when they are laying. It sounds like she wants her privacy to me.

8. CajunFeatherz

CajunFeatherz Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    Getting fussed at for getting too close when they're on the nest box is totally normal. I have all super sweet birds but some even peck me or make a bizarre guttural growl when I come near the nest while they're laying. Announcing they're laying an egg is also totally common here! They take their eggs really seriously...until they abandon it seconds later to go eat bugs :frow

9. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Crowing

Mar 19, 2016
    35.111165 -81.226586
    My Coop
    Nut did that to me today. Usually one of my skittier hens, she screech and puffed as I bent down to check the nesting box and even stayed put as I stroked the back of her neck. I don't think she's gone broody, even though she's a Marans, as she left the nest later.

rosemary10 and JaeG like this.
  10. HattieScratchy

HattieScratchy Chirping

Oct 14, 2017
    PNW
    I have a screaming silkie lol. She just doesn't like to be disturbed while laying. Totally normal.

N Sully, rosemary10 and JaeG like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: