Screaming chicken in nesting box

rosemary10

Chirping
Aug 24, 2017
Hey there everyone!
So I have this buff Orpington who used to be my friendliest girl. And she still is, don't get me wrong, but lately when she's in the nesting box she hates it when I'm around and whenever I move the curtain she freaks out, gets all puffy, and then makes a horrible screaming sound!!! At first it kinda scared me but she wasn't egg bound because she passed the egg just fine. Then she did it again the next day. I thought she might be going broody but it's been a week and the only time she's in the box is when she lays her egg. Anyone have any input?

This is completely normal for hens to act mean while in the nest. And yet they seldom go broody in today's world due to some people(hatcherys) think this is undesirable behaviour and selectively breed to avoid it. I of course try to breed vice-versa :)

This is completely normal for hens to act mean while in the nest. And yet they seldom go broody in today's world due to some people(hatcherys) think this is undesirable behaviour and selectively breed to avoid it. I of course try to breed vice-versa :)

I'm with you on that one. One thing I am going to try to bring back to my flock genetics.

Getting fussed at for getting too close when they're on the nest box is totally normal. I have all super sweet birds but some even peck me or make a bizarre guttural growl when I come near the nest while they're laying. Announcing they're laying an egg is also totally common here! They take their eggs really seriously...until they abandon it seconds later to go eat bugs :frow

Nut did that to me today. Usually one of my skittier hens, she screech and puffed as I bent down to check the nesting box and even stayed put as I stroked the back of her neck. I don't think she's gone broody, even though she's a Marans, as she left the nest later.

Back
Top Bottom