Screaming Goats

waddles99

Songster
8 Years
Jun 22, 2013
NJ
Ever since the snowfall, my goats have been constantly screaming. It snowed about 2 inches on wednesday, and an inch on thursday. They are 2 4month old nigerian doelings, they used to yell sometimes when they wanted company or to be brought inside(always around 30 mins before sunset). They are always fine during the day, from around 8 when they are brought out until 4:00 when we go to take them in. After the snowfall, they are impossible! They have fresh water, hay, minerals, and a shoveled out area in their pen with leaves and grass. They are happily eating and exploring while we are out there, but the second we leave they start SCREAMING. LOUD. I can hear it inside and it is SOOO annoying. Not to mention I have neighbors less than 50' from the pen….

Is there anything I can do? I don't want them living in their stall for the next 5 months.

They just want you to come back. If they are used to coming in at a certain time of day, that's probably part of it too. If they have food, water, mineral, and a warm place to sleep, they area just acting like spoiled goats.
Are they warm enough at night?

They just want you to come back. If they are used to coming in at a certain time of day, that's probably part of it too. If they have food, water, mineral, and a warm place to sleep, they area just acting like spoiled goats.
Are they warm enough at night?

Yes they have a 250 watt heat lamp and the barn is already room temperature. Sometimes they get jackets when they go out too. I was thinking maybe that they are lonely and a third goat would help

Maybe? But I would still guess they want you. If all their basic needs are met, and they still holler only after you leave, it's you they want. You are their mom right now. Do you have any type of pellets or for them? Are they missing their bottle or still on milk? Or were they dam raised? Born there are did you get them?

If they are only hollering when they can't see you, I'm still going with just spoiled goats, lol. And I'm not saying that's wrong, lol, just might get annoying sometimes. :)

Maybe? But I would still guess they want you. If all their basic needs are met, and they still holler only after you leave, it's you they want. You are their mom right now. Do you have any type of pellets or for them? Are they missing their bottle or still on milk? Or were they dam raised? Born there are did you get them?

If they are only hollering when they can't see you, I'm still going with just spoiled goats, lol. And I'm not saying that's wrong, lol, just might get annoying sometimes. :)

They were dam raised, 2 months ago were taken from their mom at another farm. That is a good point, in their eyes they see me as their parent. The whole day I ignored them and they are beginning to stop calling. I am trying to get them to rely on each other for socializing/entertainment and less on me. The reason why I said maybe a third goat would do the trick is that the larger the herd, the more options for entertainment whatever there are.

Ya, that!
Now if you need an excuse to buy more goats ( um who doesn't?) go with the herd size theory lol!

Ya, that!
Now if you need an excuse to buy more goats ( um who doesn't?) go with the herd size theory lol!

Haha that may be part of it too! I'll let them go for now, I'm trying to give in to them less and less. I usually break down and go out their but i didn't at all today.

Back
Top Bottom