Scruffy looking new roo. Pot, mange, molting?

Pics

Birdielee

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
North Plainfield, NJ USA
What's up with this guy? I just picked up 2 hens and a roo as a rehoming package deal. The lady said her friend moved and couldn't take her chickens.
She says the roo is molting. I figure it's something more. His wings have also been clipped hard. One of the hens has a similar-looking patch (small) on the back of her head.
Sorry the photos are rough. He's all over the place.

Attachments

• 20200525_065648.jpg
    20200525_065648.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200525_070641.jpg
    20200525_070641.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200525_065743.jpg
    20200525_065743.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200525_065747.jpg
    20200525_065747.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 22
Have you checked them over for lice and mites? The pictures are not real clear, but it doesn't look like molt to me, more like feather picking. Are there pin feathers coming in anywhere on him? If they were not being fed well or were in cramped quarters where ever they were, that might be why.

Have you checked them over for lice and mites? The pictures are not real clear, but it doesn't look like molt to me, more like feather picking. Are there pin feathers coming in anywhere on him? If they were not being fed well or were in cramped quarters where ever they were, that might be why.
Thank you. Yeah, sorry about the photo quality. Ok, yeah, i think maybe the missing feathers on the hen's head is from the other hen. I looked at one of the hens a little, but i dont know what to look for yet. She looked a little dandruffy. I didn't see anything crawling, anything black or red, or anything that reminded me of poop. I've seen ear mites on animals; didn't see anything like that yet

This should help you with the lice/mites question, lots of pictures and info:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Without pin feathers then I doubt it's molt. If it's from poor feed or crowding and feather picking, then time will be your friend. Get them on a good diet, proper housing, and once they molt later this year, they should look better. I would spend some time observing, both outside and when they go in the coop to roost, to see if you have a bully that is picking the others, it can be a habit that is hard to break sometimes. Hopefully they will look like new birds after they do molt.

This should help you with the lice/mites question, lots of pictures and info:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Without pin feathers then I doubt it's molt. If it's from poor feed or crowding and feather picking, then time will be your friend. Get them on a good diet, proper housing, and once they molt later this year, they should look better. I would spend some time observing, both outside and when they go in the coop to roost, to see if you have a bully that is picking the others, it can be a habit that is hard to break sometimes. Hopefully they will look like new birds after they do molt.
Thank you so much for the mites and lice link. So far I think they don't have the leg scale mites, and i think they don't have lice. Ill continue checking to see if they have mites. I didn't see them and didn't see nits or eggs, but I've only looked a little.

The subordinate hen (with the larger comb and the bare spot) seems to have diarrhea. Her vent is super dirty. On tuesday it's supposed to warm up and i want to clean all 3 chickens.

Looks like easter egger. Has ear tufts. Not big ones.
Maybe rhode island red, too? I'm making this up. I have no history on them other than i got them from a lady whose friend moved and didn't know what to do with her chickens.

Back
Top Bottom