Sdwd

Wanna hear the disturbing part Tom? The elk in our area are the smaller of the two subspecies of elk found in Washington state! Roosevelt elk, found west of the Cascade range, typically weigh in around 1,400+ pounds for a mature bull of 5X5 points or better. Whereas, our Rocky Mountain elk usually top out around seven to nine hundred pounds for a mature bull. Those figures are for "on the hoof" weights. Figure one third of their total weight is in internal organs and another third for bone, That puts our boy weighing in somewhere in the 4 to 500 pound range......that's just a guess, but probably fairly accurate. I think he would have needed another two to three years to reach his full potential. For all of his respectable size, he was positively dwarfed by the cow moose we saw. What I wouldn't give for a chance at one of those big brutes! But, being drawn for a moose tag is akin to winning the lottery, so slim are a persons chances!
hmm.png

OK, enough of my rattling on about hunting and species of deer. Gawds! I can yammer away on that subject about as well as I can about CHICKENS!!
gig.gif

Hope y'all are having a great day. As for us, we're just about to head out to Home Depot to put in the order for the last of our kitchen cabinets! Gotta run!

Well, since you asked so nicely, Tim.
big_smile.png

First, we saw this big girl about an hour or so before Denny shot his bull. I'm guessing that she was a younger cow moose, as she didn't have a calf at her side. What a treat to see her. They do exist around here, but by and large, moose are a fairly rare sighting. In the nearly 10 years that we've lived out here, this was only the third time we've seen one.

And here is Denny with his bull elk:

We just took the meat to the butcher today. Betweween what we processed from the neck and back strap ourselves and what we took in, we should be looking at around 200 pounds of meat total. Yep! That should hold us until next year!
yesss.gif
Great !!!!!

Dayum! I wish we were allowed that many! Just one of each animal to a customer in Washington state, sad to say. And then, only on elk, deer, bear and cougar. Moose is by lottery drawing, and you can only get drawn for that once in your lifetime. If you don't get your animal, too bad, so sad, sucks to be you. Same goes for antelope, big horn sheep and mountain goats. As for caribou, NOOOO TOUCHY!!! NO TOUCHY THE CARIBOU!!!! There just aren't enough in this state. Bear and cougar are on the verge of being considered nuisance animals. I fully expect the state game department to start offering a bounty on their heads any day now!
wink.png

Dayum! I wish we were allowed that many! Just one of each animal to a customer in Washington state, sad to say. And then, only on elk, deer, bear and cougar. Moose is by lottery drawing, and you can only get drawn for that once in your lifetime. If you don't get your animal, too bad, so sad, sucks to be you. Same goes for antelope, big horn sheep and mountain goats. As for caribou, NOOOO TOUCHY!!! NO TOUCHY THE CARIBOU!!!! There just aren't enough in this state. Bear and cougar are on the verge of being considered nuisance animals. I fully expect the state game department to start offering a bounty on their heads any day now!
wink.png
We have a army buddy who lives there. And sometimes the weather is bad to fill the tag.
Hunting here starts in Aug. 15- Jan 1 in parts of S.C. for big game.

Last edited:
wink.png
Gee One Elk there is like six Whitetails here . Freezer space wise.

Don't count on a bounty on Bear and Cougar . As soon as someone mentions it out there the greenpeace tree huggers lawyers will be filling suit on behalf of the predators. LOL

Back
Top Bottom