SE Montana

Forgot to mention, I live off-grid, about 40 to 50 miles from nearest town down rock road. For the interior I took reused billboard in the floor and nailed a furring strip to the walls to hold it in place before putting hay down. Nesting boxes are next on the list. Who wants a tour? I custom built them a feeder for the winter from 4.5" pipe and they have a water system that will be inside with them for the winter. In this video they are in training of where home is and how to get in. Been at this past week keeping them in small area till the get use to it and will let them venture over time. So far they see me and think, yep better get inside! Have to close the door or they run back in.
Feel free to see other happenings here on my channel...
Very nice coop!

I have some lovely friends 10 miles up the road, they came and helped get another roof up. I was worn out by this point cause this whole project from start to where the roof took off is a week worth of work. I was at muscle failure by this pointed and still needed to get those 75 plus pound sheets up or I wouldn't had asked them. Anyways this is continuing from then onward. Took me 3 weeks in total time to build this, I think I spent more time ripping nails and screws out with squaring up sheets of OSB than building.View attachment 3562943View attachment 3562946View attachment 3562961

If we have over a month with mild weather we get worried out here, random storms ripping things, snow storms trying to bury you or freeze you in -40° temperatures, to high winds that hit 80 mph, droughts, wild fires. It gets brutal here.
Understood. Howdy from sw Montana (I've lived in your neck of the gumbo too).

You

Might check with wildlife and parks about raising pheasants or quail....
I need to finish a structure for myself first. These ducks/geese have a nicer place than I do. Wife looks at it and says maybe we should live in this till we get our house built. I told her 5 years ago I could build something like this in a month or two till I built a house, but she said save the money and lets build a actual house instead. She is eating her words now.
We aren't too far off anyways for getting out of this camper, I give another month or two and we will be upstairs in the "pole bindominium"
F7E8354E-6EB3-44D7-87B4-C628BC12371E.jpeg

I'm going to push the envelope on the "Waddle Inn" got 20 guinea fowl on the way, going to install roosting bars and a brooder spot for them. With 104 acres, and hundreds more surrounding me empty, plenty of room for them. Going to train then to roost in the coop by feeding them scratch when they come home in the evening in the coop to roost. I trained the ducks/geese when I show up they run into the "Waddle Inn".

Back
Top Bottom