Songster
12 Years
Jan 16, 2008
SE Virginia, Surry County
ok yall, its only two weeks away, this is a lot of detail

I hope you'll all come!

All

The swap info is as follows and I am making a flyer

April 12, 9 AM – 3 PM come in as early as 7 or Friday night.

Joe Gray Auction Co

14089 Robinson Rd

Stony Creek VA 23882

Coffee, breakfast, lunch and snacks will be available onsite from the concession stand

Its about 10 miles off Rt 95 on rt 40 at the stony creek exit

This is a sell and swap meet, I am trying to get vendors of poultry supplies to come in also

Other agriculture items and livestock are welcome, the more we can get, the more public interest we get, the more we sell

Birds, rabbits, goats, puppies, you name it

Feed, supplies, nesting boxes, cages, etc…

If any of you have been to the big Gilmanor in Ashland, I would like to see it much like that one, and hopefully as big!

Fee is as follows:

$10 top fee
$1 per bird if you only want to bring a few, tops out at $10 (bring 200 birds, still only $10)
Sellers 15 and under sell for free.

This will be honor system, we do have to pay for the facility, and I am spending a bit of money on advertising.

If we want to continue at this location we need to get the participation up!!

I have talked to a state representative about importing birds from other states. The rules are as follows. Pullorum free and AI free tested in the past 10 days. If you are NPIP the appropriate paperwork AND recent testing on AI. You should call the state office in Harrisonburg and get an import permit. The number is 540-209-9120 and they can fax the form. When I called and from talking to them this process will not happen within 2 weeks – probably. It has to go to a lot of places before the final permit is complete. The vet told me that they are mainly concerned with AI, but the man in charge was quite adamant that the permit and everything else had to be followed closely. I did understand that the permit is good for a year.

I did not ask about rules for other livestock such as rabbits. I only spoke with the bird folks.

From this information I was rather discouraged that bringing in birds from NC or other states is difficult and I was encouraged by the state vet to say “NO IMPORTS with feathers, period”. Please call me if you have any questions about this process or what to do 757-267-2171.

I hope that you will still try to attend and buy birds – of course I have to warn you about importing birds into NC as well. They have their own set of rules.

everyone will bring the birds in to sell off the back of their vehicles, it will be set up so that the backs of the trucks/cars will be facing isles where folks can go through and look at all the birds.

the state vet will be represented and AI testing will be performed so that everyone knows the birds they get and take home are clean (pullorum also I think)

there is a fee to sell (we have to pay for the location and cover some advertising)

the fee to sell is $1 per bird up to $10, so the top fee is $10. This will allow folks who only have a couple of birds to get by without the whole fee. most swaps like this have a flat $10 fee. I am thinking anyone 15 and under should sell for free.

I am doing my best to get lots of birds there, we are advertising with BYC, local stores will have signs, here of course, VA poultry breeders assoc, ncpoultry2. I have a few commitments, and am looking to get lots of birds there. I am also taking flyers up to the acution tomorrow to get the word around the area that we will have birds available that weekend. I will post signs in all the stores that will let me about the meet (ones who sell birds and feed)

I am contacting a couple of poultry supply folks to get some vendors there. the fee for them is also $10 this first time.

If we can get this going we will try to do it at least quarterly. The auctioneer would like to add an auction in the future, and maybe bring in other livestock. I don't think we should limit it to birds.

I am making a flyer, and I would like everyone to post it wherever they can so its seen.

there will be coffee and breakfast at the concession stand, as well as lunch and drinks/snacks. the hours are 9-3 with the "doors" open at 7 AM or you can come set up the night before if you like.

this is a big place, we can get lots of folks there, parking for non-sellers is separate, so all the birds and sellers will be close together, buyers will come in but leave their cars elsewhwere.

Can you help us get the word out?

Sharon, if you are in state there are NO testing requirements. The state vet will be at the swap to test older birds for us, this is free and will give us all the comfort that the birds we expose ours to and any we take home will be pullorum and AI free.

birds coming from out of state must be tested prior to import, and the rules are strict with harsh penalties. I am afraid this will limit the participation from NC or WV or MD, but if some of those folks are big enough and travel to VA already, they may be ok.

Please help me get sellers for the event! we are advertising all over and lots of folks are saying they will come, so now we need birds to sell!

I will post the sale list on endlessfarm.net as soon as I start getting folks to commit, that will also help get buyers to our sale.

This is not just for we on the groups. This is a public sale. I want to have them 2-4 times per year, so we need this one to be a success!

M

Thanks for clearing that up Margaret. My eggs are due to hatch Tuesday but after candling Friday the numbers are going down.
sad.png

I'll get the flyers up in my area tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom