sea monkeys

Google Brine Shrimp. That is exactly what they are. I used to raise Bettas and raised the shrimp to feed them, we just used small 1 gallon tanks for them.

Yea, Brine Shrimp will get you the most info. We had alot when we were keeping seahorses.

17shrimp.jpg

p-38894-brine-shrimp.jpg

http://sites.google.com/site/angelfishphotography/home/hatching-brine-shrimp

Last edited:
Yes but they are teensy tiny and frankly pretty uninteresting. And this is me, former invertebrate biologist (and great appreciater of their freshwater temporary-pond cousins, fairy shrimp), speaking ;P

Useful if you have certain kinds of fish to feed, but otherwise IMO the whole 'sea monkey' thing is just proof that P.T. Barnum was right, there IS one born every second
smile.png

Pat

I hatched bbs, baby brine shrimp, all the time for newborn bettas. one of the best foods for them. all I did was add a little aquairum salt to clean water in a 2 lt soda bottle and use a air stone and over night bbs.

Last edited:
actually if we want to get REAL technical, Sea monkeys are NOT Brine Shrimp. Brine Shrimp (Artemia Salina) is related, as sea monkeys are indeed a "form" of Artemia..but are more closely related to Daphnia and copepods. I have a saltwater fish tank with some expensive fish and coral..which some are filter feeders...and this Daphnia is what I feed them, including some of my Tridacnid and maxima clams. I would never feed them Sea Monkeys however. The Banghai Cardinal fish that i have live entirely on daphnia, and what we call "marine snow"
Dan

Quote:
Er, no...

"sea monkeys" are a proprietary cultivar (or hybrid, depending who you believe) of the brine shrimp Artemia salina. Even if you regard them as a whole separate *species* of Artemia from 'brine shrimp' proper, as members of the same genus they are very closely related to all other Artemia species; and Artemia (any of 'em) are only fairly *distantly* related to daphnia (one of many genera of cladocerans) or copepods. All three things (Artemia, which are branchiopoda; cladocera; and copepoda) are separate Classes of crustacea.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom