Seal of approval for my brooder plan?

Alannah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
I have a large wire dog crate (fits a 70lb dog, not sure of dimensions tho). I will be putting cardboard around the lower part to keep the bedding in. Once the chicks get bigger, I plan to use "rabbit corral" panels to make a run for them to have more room and get exercise. We have an addition at the back of the house that used to be a porch. It is fully enclosed and insulated, but not heated/cooled. There is a door from that room into the house, and the dogs will not be allowed in there. The floor is vinyl, so it will be easy to clean up any messes they make.

I have a light reflector on an adjustable stand that my dad made a while back. I have things to use for perches. I have themometers. All I have to get is the feeders and waterers. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

What Should I use for bedding? Sand or pine shavings? I can get both easily.

How many birds? I started my 13 chicks in a 4x2x2 box made from scrap materials. They're 4 wks now, and I've added another area (about the same size).
I've had good results with pine bedding (hilarious when they "bathe" in it:lau)
Good luck with you chicks!!

Oh, how silly, I forgot to say how many chicks. I'll have about 6 bantams at a time in that set up, ideally.

They work great! I am using it also. The cardboard the crate comes in fits nicely for the walls.

82702_dsc_0222.jpg

82702_dsc_0223.jpg

I don't have the cardboard it came it, but I can get large boxes pretty easily. Thank you for the pictures.

I did the same thing but after first week or two went to plain newspaper bedding. Quick to roll up and dispose of as a unit for complete daily bedding change, plus add new top layers to freshen up in between. I duct taped a board at the entrance so they could perch on it and say hello when I opened the cage door. Elevated cage to chair level. Now at 5 weeks they perch on a towel on top of the cage and hop out onto my lap. One flew onto my head! Just learning about chicken capabilities!
hide.gif

81401_thegang.jpg

Back
Top Bottom