Sealing Shrink Bags

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by aggieterpkatie, Jul 9, 2010.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    A friend of mine uses hog rings to seal his bags before dipping in the water. How do others do it?

2. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    I use the same method, I too am looking for options that are easier to use than manually putting on the hog rings. I am thinking about this item since it is such a quick dip in the water anyway I do not think this would melt.
    http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FP7605_A_c2p_E_hp
    I will be watching with interest what others use.

3. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    Zip ties work. There is a ring tool here about half way down the page that is automatic and works well. The downside is it's $45. I wonder if a regular T50 staple gun would work.

4. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Frogdog:

I used the item you are showing there when I worked in a butcher shop some years ago. It was used to seal the tubes of hamburger. Not sure if it would make a watertight seal or not. It is just thin tape, and if it was not placed end up it might leak out.

5. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008
    Well that's what I was thinking, I hold up the opening with the hog ring and dip in the boiling water that way and it shrinks so fast I just wonder if it is worth trying, I have two left hands trying to put the hog rings on by myself.

6. tnchicken

tnchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Usually twist the top and double over and then use a 4" nylon cable tie. Have not experienced any leakage.

7. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks everyone.

8. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    is there a website that you buy your bags from? I have been searching and am getting very frustrated... thanks

9. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008
    http://www.cornerstone-farm.com/shrink_bags.htm
    Make
    sure you place your order as soon as possible, it takes a while to get the sizes restocked when they run out. Really nice customer service and I am happy with the product. A tad expensive on the shipping so order in bulk.

10. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    thank you for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by