1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Searching for pullets in Connecticut.

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by fauxcrow, Apr 1, 2016.

1. fauxcrow

fauxcrow New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Connecticut
    Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place, I'm new!

We're looking to acquire about 4 chickens, and I'm looking for a place in or around Connecticut where we can actually go pick out our birds. We're looking for layer breeds. I have a 5 year old and he's hellbent on picking out a hen and naming her Kevin, and I'm a sucker for this kid. Everywhere I've called doesn't have them or plan on having them, but I understand it's still a bit early in the season.

So, if anyone knows a place in Connecticut, Rhode Island, southern Massachusetts or western New York that might accommodate us, please let me know.

Also, in case I'm completely SOL on my search, anyone know a place that would sell/ship four pullets?

Thanks!

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    I know Murray McMurray hatchery sells and ships ready to lay pullets.
    In my opinion, especially with a little kid, start off with some chicks. Ready to lay Pullets (esp from larger hatcheries) haven't been handled much all their lives and are somewhat skittish. I'm assuming your 5-year-old is going to want to play with and hold "Kevin", and you want a gentle bird who is used to being handled since day one (of course he will have to be gentle with them!)
    If you have a local farm store, they may have chicks at this time of year, so you can pick out the chicks you want; most hatcheries have a minimum order of 10-25 chicks.

3. galvinj

galvinj Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Go on Facebook and look for the poetry clubs in your area(s). RI has the little Rhody poultry fanciers club. There are always people selling pullets and a few are professional poultry judges.

4. galvinj

galvinj Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Poultry not poetry. Hate spell check!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by