Searching for the perfect waterer

Floofinbird

In the Brooder
May 4, 2019
So, after a rusty mishap, we're looking for a poultry waterer that meets a few specific criteria. I've looked around, but not a lot of listings answer these questions outright. It needs to:

- be able to take apple cider vinegar and probiotic tablets (our metal one rusted out)
- be able to be set on a heating pad for winter months
- be able to withstand freezing temperatures without cracking
- have a closed top, of course

I figure the right kind of high temp plastic would work, but product details don't exactly list a melting point. I'd appreciate specific recommendations!

Following. I'm looking for a great waterer solution too. Hoping for a minimal footprint one as my run isn't that big. NJ winters mean we'll want ability to add a no-freeze option as needed too.

The horizontal or vertical nipples in a five gallon bucket work very well from what I hear, and you just drill a hole in the lid for a stock water heater. Many stock water tanks are made of plastic so the heaters are rated for just enough heat to keep them from freezing and no more so as to use as little electricity as possible. Don't go the aquarium heater route. They are designed to keep the water warm enough for tropical fish which is way more heat than you need.

May I ask why you use apple cider vinegar?

ACV can boost digestive health and I've seen it work to cure sour crop in my own chickens when I caught it early, so I use it in the flock's water as a sort of preventative measure. It also keeps algae and bacterial growth down in their supply.

Also, we already have an external water heater, so I was trying to shoot for something that could withstand that instead of a new heated waterer, but I'll take a look again.

ACV can boost digestive health and I've seen it work to cure sour crop in my own chickens when I caught it early, so I use it in the flock's water as a sort of preventative measure. It also keeps algae and bacterial growth down in their supply.

Also, we already have an external water heater, so I was trying to shoot for something that could withstand that instead of a new heated waterer, but I'll take a look again.

Ah gotcha! I’m glad apple cider vinegar worked for you. I just know a lot of people don’t use it anymore since there’s been research done that shows there’s no proof it actually had any benefits aside from making the water taste bad.

I use a heated dog bowl in winter, and a nipple bucket in warmer months. You can use a dog bowl year round. In very hot months, I add that option.
Works fine for me. When chicks are small, they are started on water nipples in small bottles--as in 2nd pic.
dog bowl.jpg drinking (3 of 1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom