Searching for tips in incubator usage...

Qz Sioux

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
40 milesNW of Houston, TX
So in my introduction to the community I mentioned that I was wanting to hatch turkey and chicken eggs in an incubator that my neighbor gave me (he also supplied the eggs). He brought them to me yesterday afternoon and told me that he had only used the bator once, but had great success with it. I asked him why he didn't want it back when I finished and he told me that most of his hens go broody on a regular basis and so he doesn't need it. His turkey hen is also broody and laying. He keeps taking the babies and turkey eggs out from under her daily. He gave me 7 turkey eggs and 11 chicken eggs.

From the research I have done on both, they can both be incubated at the same temp and humidity. The only difference will be hatch days. So, I figured out when I needed to set my chicken eggs to allow them to lock down and hatch at the same time as the turkeys. I want to do that so the chicks can teach the "stupid" turkeys how to eat and drink. Now the turkeys that I have had in the past were day old's and I never had a problem with them being "stupid".

So, anyway, I put the incubator on the table that I want to use for incubation and I needed to run to the store. My son comes home for a "surprise" visit. He sees the incubator, and just as he used to do when he was a youngster when we visited Fry's Computer/Electric store, he had to fiddle with it.

Anyway, he said he was trying to set the temp and humidity and egg timer etc., but he couldn't get anything to work right. I have NO idea what buttons he pushed, so I tried to reset the machine so it would go back to factory settings. The incubator is a YZ 24A automatic mini incubator (it holds 24 eggs). Does anyone have any experience with this brand of incubator? The Factory settings are as follows: Temp 37.5/Humid 45%. The current readings, after pressing the "reset" button which is supposed to reset everything, I think, Temp 37.3-38.2/Humid 51.0-54.3.

Any help is appreciated. I know these eggs will be okay for a few days, and I don't want to put 'em in until the incubator has been running reliably with correct settings for 24 hours.

Thanks Much =] Qz

Last edited:
I do not have an incubator like yours. I hope you found a manual or online instructions(you tube)

I would set the humidity to 35% for the first part of incubation and then increase to 65% during hatching

The temperature sounds fine.

Back
Top Bottom