Sears...and Tires. Am I Wrong Seeing This Way?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Aug 1, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    So, I followed my fiance's advice and got tires from Sears. Falcon tires, 65,000 mile warranty.

I went and had them rotated on July 11, 2011 (3rd time mind you!) and had put approximately 15,500 miles on them. The guy said "They are wearing out unnaturally fast, but they haven't hit the warranty of 2/32" yet. They're at 3/32"." So, I went on my merry way. The tires have since been jiggling and pulling my car to the right. I went back to Sears today. The attendant refuses to take me seriously. He has a male ego-complex that forced me to involve my fiance. It's MY car! He would only speak SERIOUSLY to my fiance. Really ticks me off.

Anyway, winds up that the tires are 200 miles over the "original tread life" which means, I have exceeded the first 25% of the treadlife mileage of 16,250 by 200 miles. How ridiculous is that? So they will only compensate me 5% of the tire. I bought these tires almost exactly one year ago! Why should I have to pay for anything when the belt inside the tires has broken and the treads are wearing too fast?

So, here's my thing. When I took the tires in originally to have them rotated and inspected for the warranty, should they not have checked the tires at that point when they noticed the tread wear was at an unnatural rate? If so, my tires would have been well under the 16,250 mile limit for the first 25% of tread life.

Am I right to be raising a stink on this? I purchased everything required, have done all the maintenance that was required and still I'm being hosed?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I'd raise a stink because he was a sexist jerk. Did you get his name, is it on your paperwork?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would most certainly make a stink. That is completely unreasonable and Sears is known for doing crap like that.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I've had a problem with Sears twice in the past. Both times they would not even listen to reason. So, I contacted headquarters in Sears Tower in Chicago both times and each time the issue was immediately taken care of. You can find their # online.

5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Sears has a bad rep for customer service. Make a stink. The one thing that I learned working retail is making a stink will get you what you want because if you are annoying enough they just want you to go away. Also make a point of letting them know you will be posting an account of the bad service on every social network you can find.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I hate using that method, but working in retail it does work. I tried the nice method in the store and am calling Corporate to see if anything can be done. If not, I suppose I will have to resort to other methods. I really hope calling corporate helps.

I mean, really, it's not my fault my tires didn't hold up? With how fast they were going, I ran out of the first 25% of tread around the 2nd or 3rd month of owning them.

7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes - I would call corporate, and mention the name and the behavior of the sexist jerk. I know he will get a dressing down, because I used to work at sears and the last thing you want is a customer calling corporate with a comlaint about your attitude, believe me! He will be reprimanded, and you will get some sort of compensation/help that you were not able to get from that guy.

8. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I really hope you get this resolved to your advantage as it should be in the first place.

I know about those sexist jerks too and I get so angry about that.

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Unnatural wear on a tire would indicate to me that either the tire was not balanced correctly or that there is a problem with the vehicle. Have it checked out by reputable mechanic with a tire shop.

For what it is worth, I do not do business with Sears.

Rufus

10. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I would have the car looked at by a different tire company and see if they tell you.

Then I would call Sears and report that guy for refusing to talk to you. He does not need to be representing Sears to customers...

And then skip Sears!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by