sears shed

our local Lowes has their buildings on clearance, both in pre-built and kit form, ranging from around $350 to $2000. I had a lot of money and a little time, so I bought a pre-built shed from Mennonite builders, and if I had it to do over again, I might not. Buildings are for storage, not animals, so you are going to have to adjust them which costs money, takes time and skill, which were probably the reasons you are considering the shortcut of buying pre-built in the firstplace. Foundation required is another thing to think about.

Our building has 2 windows and a split door on the front, and tiny vents on either end. It heats up to 115 easily in the summer. We had to split off one end to segregate some turkeys and guineas (wire wall, door), put in nest boxes, roosts in both areas, a pop door we could leave open, and find ways to provide food & water in both areas that 1)would not be exposed to sun and therefore gather algae or go stale 2)get knocked around by the poultry 3)gather debris. We still haven't figured that one out and we've had it since April. Planning out how to fit all the furniture the poultry needs around the windows and doors already there, as well as the room we had to add, has been a challenge. Our coop looks lovely, cost more than planned, and was way more work than we expected. My thoughts of saving my husband the time and expense of building from scratch seem a little overestimated now...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom