1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. ericwaddle3

ericwaddle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    As any ever had or seen one of the Sears 10x12 garden sheds made into a coop? Was thinking about buying one and converting it, they only cost $450, plus a little inside work for nest, roost, and a petition or two. Was just curious on how one would work and hold up

2. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    I have been using a rubbermade shed for 3 years now it has held up fine.

3. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    My coop is a 8x10 hip roof style garden shed. I divided it so that the back 6x8 is coop, and the front is for feed/storage. Mine is pretty heavy duty. Wood siding, shingled roof, wood floor etc. I like it? Of course bigger would always be better, but its what was here.

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Eric - which one do you mean? Do you have a link? I'm trying to compare pricing and I would love to get a good deal on something like this and turn it into a coop.

Grog - you're using a Rubbermaid shed for your chicken coop? Which one?

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have one. It works great. We had to redo a couple of things but nothing major.

6. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:the largest one Lowes sells like 8x10

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Metal sheds really cook in the Sun. (And I think are flimsy, anyway)

8. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    X2 what he said

9. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    My profile pic is a coup that I built for around 300.00 found them on line for 1700.00 to 2100.00 so you could build a coup easier and cheaper than buying a shed and then spending money on it to convert it. Unless you just want to. But if you want to save money I would just build it yourself. jmo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by